Gx Mark Levinson upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I saw this somewhere before, but can not find it.... I'm looking for the harness that allows you to upgrade your head unit on a 2005 GX470 with navigation. Would really like to add XM and better bluetooth and overall conectivity.

As far as I know, every head unit upgrade on a nav GX was done by installing it in parallel and wiring new speakers separately.

Beat Sonic MVA-81

This is what I was looking for. When it gets here, I'll choose a new head unit to install. Hopefully, it goes as easy as the videos I've seen!

But cheaper than completely rebuilding the Nav and sound system! Opens up a whole bunch more trucks to consider when shopping for a new one. Seen plenty of head units under $100 that do a s*** ton of stuff the Lexus radio cannot. When I was looking for a rig, seems like almost all of them had nav.

But cheaper than completely rebuilding the Nav and sound system! Opens up a whole bunch more trucks to consider when shopping for a new one. Seen plenty of head units under $100 that do a s*** ton of stuff the Lexus radio cannot. When I was looking for a rig, seems like almost all of them had nav.
Oh absolutely - and you can get a single DIN Android Auto head unit now.

I might have to do this.

Yes but two things to consider with this adapter (from the MVA-81 instructions):

- Front / rear fader and any DSP functions on the aftermarket head unit will have no effect with this installation.

- Factory AUX input and Radio Data Service (RDS) will no longer function after removing the OEM head unit.

The new head unit will probably have a bluetooth and hardwired aux input, so that is no big deal, could always wire it into the factory aux input socket. The fader not working kind of bugs me.

Yep, I run an android too. Just trying to decide white head unit to buy. Suggestions?
I'll have to check into the fader issue, nowhere else did I see that this was a problem.

Yep, I run an android too. Just trying to decide white head unit to buy. Suggestions?
I'll have to check into the fader issue, nowhere else did I see that this was a problem.
There's precisely one single DIN Android Auto unit out there (to my knowledge), so my only choice would be that: https://www1.crutchfield.com/p_1303300NEX/Pioneer-AVH-3300NEX.html?osp=avh-3300nex&tp=20217

Yes but two things to consider with this adapter (from the MVA-81 instructions):

- Front / rear fader and any DSP functions on the aftermarket head unit will have no effect with this installation.

- Factory AUX input and Radio Data Service (RDS) will no longer function after removing the OEM head unit.

The new head unit will probably have a bluetooth and hardwired aux input, so that is no big deal, could always wire it into the factory aux input socket. The fader not working kind of bugs me.

No aux until 2007+, so that's a non-issue for me. :)

The fader not working is annoying, but realistically the only time I've used it is to figure out which OEM speakers were failing..

Last edited:

You can still use the factory fader along with the aftermarket H/U fader.

I have factory rear-seat entertainment and have heard this adapter won't work with the RSE. Otherwise I'd have bought it by now. I have factory bluetooth but it works very intermittently so I'm looking for an alternative.

You can still use the factory fader along with the aftermarket H/U fader.

My understanding is you have to set the fader, volume (preset - still adjustable from new HU), and other audio settings from the factory HU before installing the aftermarket unit. Once the aftermarket unit is installed, you don't have access to the "audio" settings anymore. So the factory fader no longer works.

I have done this conversion, and you are correct. Factory fade does not work

Hey thought I'd rekindle this thread... Anyone else go with the beatsonic mva81? Seems like an interesting alternative to non-nav conversion or Tesla...

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has gone this route instead of the Tesla units in a NAV+ML configuration as well.

I haven't done it, but I've read up on it, seems like a very good option. Get this, a sweet single-din, and you are still using ML amp, upgrade the speakers and it seems like you'd be in business.

Look forward to the finished product if you do it!!

My speakers have been blowing one by one, and due to the expense of OEM and the problem of finding compatible 8ohm speakers, I went to PAC Audio in search of a solution and found this:

And this:

Kinda pricey as well at $400 for both, but I found a package deal on eBay for $249.00 with "Make Offer" and hit him low at $200 and he counteroffered for $230, so not too bad. I've since been collecting JBL components for a complete system build and plan to create a thread documenting it once I have everything.

My speakers have been blowing one by one, and due to the expense of OEM and the problem of finding compatible 8ohm speakers, I went to PAC Audio in search of a solution and found this:

And this:

Kinda pricey as well at $400 for both, but I found a package deal on eBay for $249.00 with "Make Offer" and hit him low at $200 and he counteroffered for $230, so not too bad. I've since been collecting JBL components for a complete system build and plan to create a thread documenting it once I have everything.

That’s a lot of soldering! Looking forward to your install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom