GX 470 Suspension Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for what exactly needs to be disconnected and/or temporarily removed to install Old Man Emu front suspension on my 470. Done several 3rd gen 4Runners over the years but the 470 isn’t the same up front. Any tips or tricks would be helpful. Tried doing a search but didn’t come up with a detailed description for the front just the rear which I’ve already done and was super simple and straightforward.

If you are stock currently, (just quick notes from memory):
everything is 14mm, 17mm, 18mm or 19mm.

1. 2X 3mm (maybe 4mm) allens for the shock adjuster on top. You can do the outside one first and then firmly grab the bracket and rotate it around to access the screw on the other side of the bracket.
2. remove shock adjuster bracket from shock shaft. 1X 17mm. You may need to hold the nut right below it with a wrench or pliers.
3. Remove the sway bar endlink on the upright (do this on both sides right now)
4. Remove the sway bar bracket to the frame, and rotate/move the swaybar forward and up. (I did not remove the skid plate)
5. Remove the lower shock mount bolt/nut
6. Remove the two large bolts that attach the lower ball joint to the upright. 19mm (go up into the upright from the bottom)
7. Mark you current alignment tabs and loosen the lower control arm bolts (19mm from FRONT of the front mount, and rear of rear mount) just loosen, no need to remove. I used some long extensions so that I did not need to remove the skid plates.
8. At this point the lower control arm should rotate to the ground.
9. Remove the 3X 14mm nuts at the top of the strut. The inner one is difficult to get to with a ratchet.
10. Remove strut wit some wiggling. May help to turn the wheels slightly.

11. If you are doing the UCA, then do that too last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom