GX 470 / 4Runner buying guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!

I've been a member on this forum for a little bit. I owned a 80 series a few years ago.

I am looking to get back into a 'Yota and have settled on either a GX470 or 4th gen 4Runner. I am looking for a little help through my thought process.

My goal is to do a "light build." TBH, this will be a 75-80% aesthetics deal. We live in Nashville and I am from Knoxville so we are very close to Windrock. However, we have plans on buying a SxS in the near future and I estimate we will do the majority of our wheeling on that front.

Here are my thoughts -

- Originally set on 4Runner. V8, AWD. Limited Trim most likely
- We have plans to buy a small camper. That points towards the V8. I also love the 4.7
- Mileage isn't the biggest issue as long as I can tell it has been maintained. I will do a baseline either way.

Mods

I have spent a lot of time in @Sam Stewart 's thread. Maybe you can chime in Sam!

- Slight lift
- New front and rear bumpers w/ a winch
- Larger tires....I like the pizza cutter look.
- My wife and I love the new Quicksand color on the Tacomas and 4Runners. I also love the "cement" color on the 17 TRD Pros. Does anyone have experience with Vinyl wraps? We would particularly like to get a matte, rhino lined look.

Here's the deal with the GX470 thought. My brother and sister in law have a 2009. They purchased it in 2011 as a CPO with 70k on it. She is in outside sales and it now has 180k. Lots of highway windshield time. They have taken decent care of it interior wise. It isn't "trashed" but she is a window salesman so the rear cargo area has its share of scratches and gouges.

Mechanically, they have taken care of it. They gapped out on the timing belt and waterpump and didn't get it changed till 160k (yikes) but it has been done along with other, multiple repairs.

They are currently considering trading it for a new, highline SUV. Jaguar, BMW, new Lexus, etc. He's had a few dealers book the GX out and they are getting low offers. These type of dealerships will take this truck directly to the auction.

This GX470 is a base model. No nav, no Levinson, no rear DVD.. It has the air suspension, but to my knowledge doesn't have the KDSS.

Here are my final thoughts - I love the 4th gen 4Runners and they obviously have the aftermarket support I am looking for. The GX 470 seems to be a little more hazy.

I could buy their GX for around 10-11k. A late model 4Runner looks like it could be in the similar price range with the given mileage. Also, I have a friend in the car business and we could buy a 4Runner at the auction.

Lots of information. What do you all think?

Also, could someone clarify the difference between the "air suspensions" and KDSS/XREAS. Are KDSS and XREAS the same thing? @Sam Stewart , did you not have some issues with your factory suspension setup and the subsequent lift you put on? I want to say it was something with compressing the springs and a reservoir issue?

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited:
XREAS is not the same as KDSS. XREAS links the shocks hydraulically meaning that shock replacement will also include servicing that hydraulic system. KDSS is a sway bar system that offers larger sway bars that are good for on-road performance but can also allow for greater articulation when off-road. KDSS is nice to have but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker at all.

The air suspension is just that- instead of rear coil springs the GX (and optionally on the 4Runner) came with air springs. These allow for a constant height since they continually adjust to any load changes. You can also get a free lift out of it for a little while by adjusting the height sensors if you want it just for the looks or if you want to break up the lift purchase.

No NAV is most desirable since the NAV systems are pretty dated in the older models and you can easily swap out the stereo since you don't have to contend with the integrated climate control.

Depending on your market, you may find that a comparable 4runner with a V8 can be pretty rare. In fact, all the V8 runners I saw here in Southern Cali were usually about 10% more than a comparable GX. The aftermarket for the GX is growing quite a bit nowadays. You have many options for lifts as suspension components are shared between the GX, 4Runner and FJ. As far as armor, there are at least 5 or 6 options out there right now (ARB, Metaltech, SSO, HeftyFab, Demello, and Pelfreybilt may be working on something).

Hey Alex. My issues with my X-REAS were my own fault. I broke the lines loose (I didn't but the tech that was helping me did) which resulted in the lines losing pressure. It created a horrible ride and ended up necessitating the change to a full suspension kid instead of just a spacer lift. There are lots of good options for lifts out there for the 4Runner or GX these days. Most people with the air or hydraulic suspension wait for it to fail and then change it out for traditional coils. If you're already planning on a lift and tires then I would definitely say to go ahead and just convert it when you buy it. I ended up with the Ironman (details in my "build" thread) and I love it. Rides great. The only thing I would change is the foam cell shocks vs the gas ones. The aftermarket support for the 120 platform overall is really awesome now. Plenty of bumper options. Best advice I can give is to look at lots of pics. A friend and I were looking at bumpers the other day (he has the same truck I do) and found the one he wanted stuck out way past the fenders and looked really goofy. Anyway just do research and pick what you like best. Good luck and PM me if you have any specific questions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom