Builds Growing the Family: 1985 FJ60 Refresh and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The headunit that was in the vehicle when I bought it was circa 2000 and shorted out every time I hit a bump. I lucked out and found the original radio brackets still in the dash. I had to bend the brackets around to get them to work but I made them fit and the radio is rock solid.

m7KzGV5VS5K+dDH3rf7W5A.jpg

7DC8ibXoQRGTUZzLWYfSJw.jpg

49zbe+2pQeib7pzOzaHtUg.jpg

Not too hard:
5 screws for the gauge cluster
7 screws for lower dash panel
6 or so to take the globe box out
2 screws on each side to take the little wing vents off.

Thanks, I need to remove mine to get to some wiring and install a radio too

I just remembered the 3 or 4 10mm bolts under the dash that clamp it to the body. You will have to remove the gauge cluster and glove box to get to these bolts.

Ok, thank you!! Hopefully this weekend's project. Tired of no tunes and an empty hole in my dash.

Really dug in and got my hands dirty today.

4:11s going into the axles. I traded for some fj62 thirds a while back and was waiting until I finished up some other projects before swapping them in.

While I’m in the axles, @beno supplied all the parts to refurb the axles ends with new bearings, seals, and gaskets.

6B8D8609-A198-41E9-99B8-8CF69DF48217.jpeg
381F65BE-81A7-4B6C-A2EF-70E223863DDB.jpeg

Finished up the rear axle tonight.

I cleaned all the gunk and junk off the new 3rds and laid some oil based industrial enamel paint on them. I tried to clean and paint as much as I could while I was under there.

Nice and shiny
80F727E2-3DC5-40A9-83AA-B1A0AEF09BF9.jpeg

Jobs like this just suck. But for some reason I enjoy it ha. I had to install the 3rd twice since the first time around I forgot the gasket.

All tidied up and ready for fluids.
BDF8DEA3-FB29-45F2-B7C6-E5F885E43372.jpeg

A160F629-09A9-40E7-BB59-5EB4868DD611.jpeg

I couldn’t dare put the the drive shaft back in with all the grease and dirt that was stuck to it like an infectious skin disease. So I stripped it down to bare metal and re-painted it with industrial enamel. Each end of the shaft was finished with a new oem u-joint.

Before and after degreasing and new joints.
917D0D0A-6E5F-44D1-860E-ED6FA2FDE5C4.jpeg

First coat of paint. Will lay another coat in the morning and let it dry while I’m at work before installing.
4148AB7C-FF58-4C9D-B8D6-9A2EA56A6BDB.jpeg

DD39FF67-B53F-492E-846D-73153C7992F9.jpeg

JTU, Thank you for sharing your build; It's inspiring...I realize I need to get off my butt and tear into mine. A very nice truck indeed! It seems you are satisfied with the front grill you put in; I am struggling with using reproduction parts vs OEM with respect to parts that don't move much. Based on what you showed I think I'll use the reproduction grill as well. The insulation that you put in, how would you compare it with other brands if you could share an opinion? Sorry bout all the questions. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to take the body off my frame or not and get after it. I gotta tell ya I have three Cruisers, (wife thinks I'm nuts, daughter wants to swipe the 60) and the 60 is by far my favorite! Anyway your truck is something to be proud of, good luck and great work.

Installed the City Racer LED headlights today.

They are plug and play and come with a reverse polarity module.
D9EC34DD-B7DC-45C9-9221-A2DB5BFB12AB.jpeg

Driver side had a free bolt hole right above where the wires came out. Easy 10 min install. I’ll come back and sleeve the wires to make it look more original.
A167FC01-9AFB-4E62-AC77-271C03848DD8.jpeg

Passenger side was a little bit more involved. Due the battery I couldn’t find a clean way to mount the reverse polarity module. So I extended the modules wire harness to mount it further down the fender in the engine bay.
6B9A54A3-2951-4F0A-B889-A7F53BFE8C6B.jpeg

Nice and hidden away.
EA17E787-EBCA-4A19-8C32-47003426DCD4.jpeg

What’s the brand of the industrial enamel paint you used?

@jamesg thanks for the compliment. I was also on edge about using repro parts but as cheap as the Cruiser Corp front end kit is I figured it was worth the gamble. I usually try to use oem as much as possible but a new oem grill and headlight bezels is just too much $ to justify.

As for the sound insulation, I used a mixture of Noico and Fatmat products. I used noico in the past and it has worked good but when I ran out I tried Fatmat and it’s way better stuff. The Fatmat adhesive backing is some of the stickiest stuff I’ve ever seen and the foil front is more pliable than the Noico. The Noico foil front has a tendency to tear when you push it into crevices and dips, Fatmat molds to the body panel shapes much better without the foil tearing.

View attachment 1795183

Driver side had a free bolt hole right above where the wires came out. Easy 10 min install. I’ll come back and sleeve the wires to make it look more original.
View attachment 1795174

Passenger side was a little bit more involved. Due the battery I couldn’t find a clean way to mount the reverse polarity module. So I extended the modules wire harness to mount it further down the fender in the engine bay.
View attachment 1795173

Nice and hidden away.
View attachment 1795182
Can you show us a pic of the low and high beams illuminated in the dark? I like the price and really could use brighter headlights. I ve installed Pfran leds for interior, reverse lights, and noe its time for the headlights.

Good thread, looks real good

Last edited:

View attachment 1795183

View attachment 1795174

View attachment 1795173

Nice and hidden away.
View attachment 1795182

That's really clean, nice job!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom