Good Info on Lifting a Toyota with IFS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

captainva

SILVER Star
Threads
Found these 2 videos on youtube and they have some really good info in them about the pros and cons of various IFS lifts. Hope this helps people thinking of lifting or who have already lifted their trucks. Part 2 on the real world travel you get with different setups is really interesting but watching part 1 provides a lot of context.

Found these 2 videos on youtube and they have some really good info in them about the pros and cons of various IFS lifts. Hope this helps people thinking of lifting or who have already lifted their trucks. Part 2 on the real world travel you get with different setups is really interesting but watching part 1 provides a lot of context.

I just saw these two videos this weekend and I thought they were unique in the way this guy presented the information and how he visually shows you what’s going on.

In one of the videos of the gx460, he says that a 2.2” front lift with the Ironman long travel fronts gives you the best articulation compared to a 3” front lift on the same setup.

That was definitely interesting to hear that a higher lift gives you less articulation.

I just saw these two videos this weekend and I thought they were unique in the way this guy presented the information and how he visually shows you what’s going on.

In one of the videos of the gx460, he says that a 2.2” front lift with the Ironman long travel fronts gives you the best articulation compared to a 3” front lift on the same setup.

That was definitely interesting to hear that a higher lift gives you less articulation.

That makes sense because you have more down travel in a lower lift thus more overall articulation. I wish there was a video like this on the RCLT. I know a lot of those guys are getting around 16 inches of wheel travel without cutting the factory bumpstop mount. If you relocate the bumpstop higher apparently 18-20 is possible. Nate on the dirt lifestyle YouTube channel does a pretty good job at showing how that works and he was seeing I think 4" more clearance on 38s than on his solid axle TJ on 40s. Cool stuff. He also said you have to drive the truck differently because the front will clear things that the rear doesn't.

this is very helpful, thank you!

That makes sense because you have more down travel in a lower lift thus more overall articulation. I wish there was a video like this on the RCLT. I know a lot of those guys are getting around 16 inches of wheel travel without cutting the factory bumpstop mount. If you relocate the bumpstop higher apparently 18-20 is possible. Nate on the dirt lifestyle YouTube channel does a pretty good job at showing how that works and he was seeing I think 4" more clearance on 38s than on his solid axle TJ on 40s. Cool stuff. He also said you have to drive the truck differently because the front will clear things that the rear doesn't.
RCLT is out of my league…I’m not a rock crawler. I don’t look for the rocks…they find me sometimes when exploring.

A large portion of people who modify their vehicle's suspension have no idea how suspension is supposed to actually function. With trucks, everyone assumes more lift = more better without thinking about geometry or other suspension components.
The Ironman example is great because you might not really notice the raw difference in ground clearance or articulation on a slow obstacle, but you'll definitely notice a difference in ride quality on a fire road.

Good informative vids. I think I know my suspension but still learned something. He has a video comparing Camburg & Dirt King control arms - also Informative and quite a difference between the two. 👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom