Giving it My Best Shot: N22's Tacoma build log. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember watching the tv show "fall guy" and he had something like that which I always felt was clever.

I vaguely remember the truck but I remember Heather Thomas a lot more.

Good call on the trailer connector. I had to replace the 4-flat on my truck in the middle of the polar vortex as I needed to use my trailer. The guts had completely corroded away. From now on it's sealed connectors stuffed with dielectric grease.

@N22 Do you have room under the flatbed to put in a pull out toolbox or two?.......

Also do you know what wheels you are using?....

I am thinking that a trac-rack could be modified to bolt directly to a flatbed..... I've installed lights in mine so that I can see what is in the bed at night.

I do have a few ideas for toolboxes underneath the flatbed. Still in the works. mainly it's hard to find tool boxes that fit in that space. Although I did find a few on Ebay. Other options are to adapt something else, or build from scratch.

Mine a bit close to stock. I don't have any idea of what they are.They where painted black when I got them. Except for where the black is scratched off it appears to be white with possibly red and/or blue pinstripes.

That's not a terrible idea. I do still have the ladder rack that came with the truck. Maybe I'll use that as a starting point.

I vaguely remember the truck but I remember Heather Thomas a lot more.

Good call on the trailer connector. I had to replace the 4-flat on my truck in the middle of the polar vortex as I needed to use my trailer. The guts had completely corroded away. From now on it's sealed connectors stuffed with dielectric grease.

Same happened here. Luckily not in a polar vortex. Ended up hardwiring the thing to get the job done. And I had just installed on of those connectors on the boss's truck, and they seem pretty well made. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

@clx16 here is some pictures I took of the stock spare next to my rims. Excuse all the dirt on the rims.

WP_20190407_17_29_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20190407_17_30_00_Pro.jpg
WP_20190407_17_30_05_Pro.jpg
WP_20190407_17_30_26_Pro.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. I will have to grab some spares then to make a complete set. Or i could use boat trailer wheels. Something about steel wheels and with round holes that seems to not really go out of style.

There is a company...name escapes me, but they make long pullout drawers for guns, usually for in the bed installs, but I wonder if their shorter ones would work under your flatbed.

I do kinda suspect these wheels came off a trailer.

Drawers, I hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea.

Last edited:
I scored 16" Tundra steel wheels from a junk yard via eBay. The only reason I mention this is that 96 - 04 Tacoma spares can be in rough shape living under the vehicle and you have to find 4 spares. And after 2005 they slotted one of the holes to allow access to the valve stem without dropping the spare - which is great - but they don't actually match. Not that anyone but me would notice.

@Prairie Swamp Yeah I thought about that. Being that I left the great salty north I have better luck with the spares. The same rim (without the large hole) were used on the early tundras and was the basic model wheel for the sequoia. the prices range from 50 to 105 for salvage ones. Then for some reason toyota wanted to change to some not so nice looking steel wheels.. I imagine it was to push people to alloy.

@N22 So here were some ideas that came to my mind for yours. The last one would be essentially be adding a layer higher. and after seeing your loads you will want it to be very stout. You you could put boxes in front of the wheel well if you are not able to have something thin slide out that reaches the full width of the bed.

boxes-aluminum-mounting-for-systems-astounding-silverado-underbody-black-dodge-tank-storage-pi...jpg

flatbedstoraage.jpg

truck-home-mobile.gif

in 4wd also! What is the recommended maintenance for the 300k mark? Flush the windshield washer bottle?

I found this in my area, and it got me thinking.........1 ton Tacoma? Mostly just a crazy idea.....probably.
1987 Toyota 1-Ton 2WD 2 4 L, 4 cyl, Manual 4-spd.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom