Getting closer.. ‘96 LC80 Park/Neut Switch P1780 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after a week or two of forum searching, reading and looking through the FSM I’ve managed to WebMD myself into my next cruiser fix.

I started this thread;

And after reading what I could from the threads I can begin to think it’s possible that my N flashing could be caused by P1780 , and I am looking in to this more and more because I notice low idle speeds at stop lights and intermittent, unreproducible, times.

I’m leaning towards seeing what Toyota says for a diagnosis, but all the same I can get my hands on an OEM for ~$230. Is this something I could tackle myself, not being a master of anything relative to wrenching on Yotas, or have an idea in labor if I have a shop try it?

For anyone further experiencing this, some research;
These threads don’t explain MY problem but they will help explain the ‘switch’ and it’s location, purpose etc.

Last edited:
Since nothing but crickets for a while, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Sometimes I sound like a broken record but the transmission decides a lot of what it does through the Neutral Safety Switch. This determines what gear it is in, how it shifts and how it it displayed on the dash. If you are having any issues associated with this I would Highly recommend you inspect the barrel connector that goes to the NSS located very close to the Pesky Heater Hose (PHH). Remove driver's tire, remove inner back and side fender flaps, look up and to the right. You will find it. Unplug and inspect wiring, each individual pin and repair if needed. If you're not sure, follow the wiring from the NSS to the front and you will find the round barrel connector. No need to purchase anything. Just inspect for corrosion, and clean/repair/replace. If this doesn't directly involve your issue, it Will fix future transmission associated issues. Just call it good PM.

That’s a big 10-4 thank you for the post and insight, every bit of knowledge you guys can share will be well warranted and heeded.

I guess my only Q is....is the NSS and the park/neutral safety switch different lingo for the same part?

I think I found the part # just Incase the barrel connector method doesn’t solve it..

84540-30270 95-97 landcruisies

The NSS (neutral safety switch) is a sealed unit and has a very low failure rate compared to the barrel connector which is just the opposite.

Copy that brother thank you for the response, to the barrel connector we go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom