geriatric dog issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife said no FJ! said:
The one thing I have learned is that no two cases are alike. Keep doing what is working for you guys, and be patient with the poor thing. All these years all we received was love, and I agree with you, it is the least we can do for all that they have given us over the years.

Have you tried going for longer walks in the morning before work to tire her out? Did you notice anything in particular before she started acting strange?

We have a sizable back yard, and she runs and does all her business back there while we get ready for work. The ritual usually involves us picking up her mess in the yard, tossing it in the garbage, putting her in her cordoned "space", throwing a diaper on her, setting the alarm and out the door we go. Point is, she's still getting exercise and she's still doing her morning business. Her habits haven't really changed. She's definitely a creature of habit and she looks at us funny every Saturday when we sleep in past 6:30. It's pretty amusing. 16 years and it's the same old thing!

No particular change in behavior other than her old age. One day we just came home from work and found a mess, then it got to be every other day, and then it became a daily occurrence.

It was suggested a couple of weeks ago that you take her to the vet as there may be an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

For example, we had a dog that started to have problems eliminating in the house. The vet discovered the cause, which it turned out (we were wrong) it wasn't behavioral or age related, prescribed some meds and the dog improved. The dog was happier and so were we.

It was suggested a couple of weeks ago that you take her to the vet as there may be an underlying problem that needs to be addressed.

For example, we had a dog that started to have problems eliminating in the house. The vet discovered the cause, which it turned out (we were wrong) it wasn't behavioral or age related, prescribed some meds and the dog improved. The dog was happier and so were we.

Yeah, I read that and I've been debating a trip to the vet to get her checked out for it. May do that this week. After a weekend of being home and no issues (since we're there to let her out) it's easy to forget about it. But it needs to be addressed.

Update: still using the diaper approach and it's working (for the most part). After months of this we have decided to visit the vet and see if any meds are available to treat the condition. Things of note that could be positive and make our case treatable:

• she is not doing this in her sleep.
  • her movements are regular and occur pretty much on a schedule vs. random occurrences at any time.
She will be examined in the morning, and, fingers crossed, there is a product that can either reduce or eliminate this behavior. I'm very excited at the prospect. I would, after all, like to see her reach 17 (April) - and not just for me. The breeder (all those years ago) warned me that his Brittanys have sometimes lived to be 18.

Wish me luck.

S

Update: we now have her on Rimadyl for her arthritis and it's doing wonders both for stiffness in her back end and control of her bowels. She's almost back to her old self again. Amazing that a simple drug is all that was needed. Hopefully this will not only continue to keep her comfortable, but prevent her from making an unwanted mess in the house. Euthanizing is way off the board.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom