Gas can sitting around in the heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you cant compress a liquid so leave some space for expansion. i have several of the old jerry cans that spent the summer in storage. even with it getting over 100 dergrees i never had an explosion. but if they are under pressure be carefull when opening. becouse when there is a rapid presure change it can cavitate. which is basicly low temp boiling causing foam and spillage.

There are currently 2 types of fuel cans that are referred to as NATO cans. The plastic type shown here, made by Scepter, and the metal ones like the one I have pictured. They are both designed to allow for drastic temperature changes if filled properly, to the bottom of the spout, (where my hand is) the rest is for expansion. So if you leave properly filled cans outside you will be fine. Just don't open them rapidly, allow the lid to vent any pressure buildup so you don't get splashed.

:cheers:
Dave

518d8889.jpg

I am in the Coast Guard and we carry about 500 gals of regular gas onboard our cutter. They are in direct sun light all the time and I have never seen or heard of them exlpoding. We carry the nato cans and marine tanks. I have seen the tanks go 2 weeks half full and nothing happend. Keep it full and keep it safe..

I think the high for Las Vegas today is supposed to be 55° F.

Is anybody reading the OP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom