Garmin 60CSX or tablet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to be able to use topo maps and plot ways points etc when off-roading, however from what I understand my Garmin Nuvi 265WT isn't really designed specifically for this purpose. I was thinking of getting a tablet with built-in GPS, and loading it with the Ibycus topo maps of Canada. My brother-in-law just got a 10" touchscreen tablet (droid OS) with built-in GPS for CAN$225 delivered. I like the size of the tablet, and the fact that I can also use it around the house. However, someone in one of the clubs I belong to just mentioned that Costco (Canada) has the Garmin 60CSX for $199.00. Many club members swear by it, but for me the screen seems too small to use when driving. Has anyone used both?

Costco - HOT BUY Garmin® GPSMAP® 60CSX Handheld GPS System

I think both have their uses.
Tablet, big but can do other things.
Handheld: small, can take on hikes etc. But just about useless when driving if you're alone.

Dang, I always end up with one of each of whatever I am interested in... :)

I have a Cx. i use it on runs, as well as highway roadtrip nav route following... i have topos on it. it works fine for nav (of an existing route) and zooming in and out. searching, setting up routes, panning are all "pull over and do it safely" operations imo. i have it mounted on the windshield in the lower left corner. i can reach the buttons with my hand on the steering wheel still (ie both). i DO have to say FWIW, the reception of the Cx line with the new sirf chip and antenna is flat out AWESOME, no need for an external antenna or anything even given canyons and using it in the middle of the truck. compare to my old etrex, which was be blocked by a paperbag...

while you could do it "easier" i still think mucking with a laptop at highway speeds is never going to happen safely, not to my comfort level. the beauty of the laptop, and say, delorme, is you could have voice recog set and hope it works :D i know guys who use a laptop with topo stuff on runs and really like it. i will get there... i am currently working the kinks out of my netbook mount. i do think i'll alwyas want a real keyboard, but it's also what i have so i'm starting there...

hth

Like others have said, if you want the extra 'around the house' uses & the ability to watch movies, surf the web, etc. - the a tablet is the way to go.
If you want a GPS you can take on hikes & such, the CSX can't be beat for that price.

Good luck!

Ordered it today. A couple days ago the :princess: started to complain about all the stuff I have cluttering up the pass side of the truck (maglite, CB mic, maplight etc, Nuvi 265WT), so it's now a no brainer.
BTW, I never intended to use the tablet while driving on-road.

what tablet was that?

I use a 60CSX with a laptop. The 60CSX is on all the time, and I turn the laptop on when I need it for the big picture. I've thought of getting a tablet instead.

Amazon has same $199 deal, free ship, and w/o Costco membership. 60CSX has been around a while and I paid $350 just a few years ago but it's still an excellent recreational GPS.

Garmin 10x is my primary receiver for general navigation on a laptop (Delorme, ArcView, etc) given bluetooth and day-long battery life. Don't use it to log any data but still amazes me to watch as you drive past a tree or other obvious landmark on a good hi-res georeferenced aerial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom