g80 locking rear diff. id questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 15, 2013
Threads
1
Messages
1
i own a 98 gmc k1500 sierra and recently blew out the rear end, spider gears pinion, and bearings all shot.chunky bits remain. trying to replace has been nightmare because knowbody seems to know whether this is a g80 locker or not. how can i tell and is there any other vehicles that it can be pulled from . ie newer gmc models with upgraded eaton lockers like the truetrac. will it still have same gear ratios
 
I am no expert but I will offer what I do know:

G80 may not be a locking differential. I have G80 axle code on my 89' and its a limited slip rather than a locking diff. My 98 had a locking diff like yours. As far as I know, you can mount up any ring and pinion to your locking diff so beware the salvage yard stuff be sure to count the teeth before installing. You can by just a ring/pinion from Chevy if yours are ruined and you need to change a salvage unit's gear ratio.
if G80 is still the right code it will be printed in your glovebox with the option codes. I believe most Z-71's had lockers but your mileage may vary..


I am not familiar with GM after 99' so good luck. Might be better off installing aftermarket lockers in a standard diff if you are doing hardcore wheeling. Sounds like you may need something tougher than stock.
 
Go buy new gears and replace you old ones. Use you current carrier( regardless of if its a locker, limited slip , or open) that's the easy way. Or order all you set up, gears set, install kit, and locker from the same vendor so that they can help make sure all parts will work together. It really is a non difficult situation. But very frustrating. Good luck
 
Back
Top Bottom