fzj80 wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge on the 80 series. new to MUD and tried to find a previous post on this but just can't seem to find anything. I just bought a 1993 looks to be an early year production. I want to buy the factory 16"x8" alloy wheels which I thought would be simple enough but I see now it looks like there is two different style lug nuts used. I am assuming the one with the counter sunk lug holes is the acorn style and then I see the other type has a flat surface instead of the counter sunk style.
1: what year range are each style from?
2: I prefer the acorn or counter sunk style lug for its self centering when tightening. will they fit on my 93?
3: is there any advantages of one over the other style that I don't know?
4: is there any difference beside the lug nut type? i.e. offset, center bore or anything else?

The shank style should also self center - a portion of the nut goes into the hole.

My 80 is new to me as of this summer, and upon tire rotation, I found I have two of each 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The shank style also self centers - a portion of the nut goes into the hole.

My 80 is new to me as of this summer, and upon tire rotation, I found I have two of each 🤷‍♂️
so it sounds like just need to have correct lug nuts either wheel works on the 93. thanks

Should work. Make sure to torque appropriately per each style... I think acorn on alloys w/ steel insert is 109 & shank on alloys is 76, but may as well double check your year

Last edited:
Should work. Make sure to torque appropriately per each style... I think acorn on alloys is 109 & shank on alloys is 76, but may as well double check your year
I will confirm that, good catch.. don't want to break a stud over tightening or have a wheel fly off form not tight enough....

so it sounds like just need to have correct lug nuts either wheel works on the 93. thanks

Yes, either wheel works, but the lug niuts used MUST match the wheel used in every case.

I will confirm that, good catch.. don't want to break a stud over tightening or have a wheel fly off form not tight enough....

109 sounds like the steel wheel torque value. Like for these...
paintedhubsfront.jpg

Should be the lower one for the alloys.

That’s what I thought at first, and was familiar with from my jeep w/ steelies, but checked again & FSM says 109 for acorn on both steel & OEM alloy

Cruiserdan says:
“Lug nut torque specs are as follows:
All steel wheels...109 lbft.
Alloy wheels with conical steel inserts (91-94) 109- lbft.
Alloy wheels 95-97 (shank-type nuts) 76 lbft.”

Last edited:
now this is exactly what I was hoping for, really appreciate all the input.. love those steel wheels for Mexico tire shops..

Also to note, torque specs are for clean threads. Topic of antiseize/etc is a hot debate, but something to consider if you are particular about things.

Last edited:
That’s what I thought at first, and was familiar with from my jeep w/ steelies, but checked again & FSM says 109 for acorn on both steel & OEM alloy

Cruiserdan says:
“Lug nut torque specs are as follows:
All steel wheels...109 lbft.
Alloy wheels with conical steel inserts (91-94) 109- lbft.
Alloy wheels 95-97 (shank-type nuts) 76 lbft.”

Ah, that's right, the early alloys were special like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom