Fusible Link Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have the smallest battery possible in there? What is that side-post looking thing?

There is a whole lotta UGLY wiring in there next to those connectors you showed in that pic.

If there is a remote start on hits, I'll bet that's the source of your problem.

See, that's why we try to ask about things like alarm systems, remote start, lights, winch, stereos because people THINK they understand how to wire something and they DON'T. I've been doing this a long time and I still have to question everything I do to make sure I don't dick it up.

If you don't already own a multi-meter, get one. If you don't know how to use it, watch some tutorials. Seriously.
I’m definitely not a mechanic and just trying to learn how to do things the right way. I own and can use a multi meter. I definitely don’t think I know how to wire anything at all and it looks like the PO didn’t either. My plan is to tackle everything I can find that isn’t right and make it right. This group has made that a much easier and quality process for sure

A little update: I was able to locate 2 splices into the ignition switch harness that look to be from the remote start. No idea how this thing started and ran before but it did. I removed the 2 splices and cleaned up the wiring and it appears to have solved the issue. I was able to start the truck but it was still a little slow to turn over. I’m going to wait until I get the new ignition switch tomorrow before I reinstall everything but the initial startup and road test went pretty well. Still have to figure out why it’s starting so slow. Maybe it’s the tiny battery?

There is a remote start hooked up under the hood. I’ve tried disconnecting it when troubleshooting and it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I was just looking at this wiring diagram and it seems like the wiring issue must be upstream from the starter. With the ignition switch taken out, how could the starter be getting power? I’m obviously lost when it comes to electrical. I’ve been reading the FSM all day and I just can’t seem to figure it out

ok - edited and deleted since you have found the 'bypass' path. PO wiring is bull**** that one shouldn't have to deal with...

cheers,
george.

ok - edited and deleted since you have found the 'bypass' path. PO wiring is bulls*** that one shouldn't have to deal with...

cheers,
george.
C8AA618B-AEA0-49D9-B152-8270C91D256E.jpeg
Zoom in and check out all the perfect connections coming off the ignition harness 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️. Currently cleaning it all up and doing right. Appreciate all the help fellow Mudders. Based on what I’ve seen so far I’m sure I’ll be back soon.

View attachment 2934892Zoom in and check out all the perfect connections coming off the ignition harness 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️. Currently cleaning it all up and doing right. Appreciate all the help fellow Mudders. Based on what I’ve seen so far I’m sure I’ll be back soon.
I see an alarm disable in there too. That red button would be a "valet" button.

I hate seeing that kind of stuff on ANY vehicle.

Yes, I have done some in my youth and I learned the hard way.

Good luck, keep checking back.

I see an alarm disable in there too. That red button would be a "valet" button.

I hate seeing that kind of stuff on ANY vehicle.

Yes, I have done some in my youth and I learned the hard way.

Good luck, keep checking back.
I wondered what that was!! I thought it was the “eject” button!! 😂😂😂. My next step is a valve cover gasket replacement including a tune up. I’ve got all the stuff I need thanks to this site. Small oil leak around the valve cover. Gasket, cap, rotor, o-ring, cap seal, plug seals, half moons, wires, and of course plugs. Anything wrong with NGK plugs and wires on these? I’m assuming you’ll say “tractor motor don’t care”. Lol. Got a good deal on the set from Summit which is 15 minutes from my house. Apparently this thing was garaged and only driven 5,000 miles the last 5 years. I’m pretty concerned about the head gasket but it’s showing no signs of that yet. I’m sure I’ll be back on here begging for help again soon.

Thanks again for all the help and the patience!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom