fuel filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok so im in the process of doing a whole bunch of PM. up next is the fuel filter.

is there a write up on the re & re of this? didnt find one in the FAQ. HTF does one access it? pull off intake manifold? go from underneath? odd place (not to mention difficult to access) to put a fuel filter compared to those that ive replaced before....

or should i put it off 'till i tackle the PHH/coolant flush? thinking if i remove the intake manifold completely, i might be able to attack these two together...

thanks

Go from underneath. BY FAR the easiest method.

I've said this before, and others have had the same problem, but some dealers absolute refuse to tackle the job. I've still never figured out why, unless they are just worried about damaging fuel lines or even causing a fire with fuel spill or whatever. But my local dealer kept trying to tell me that it's not a servicable item and that Toyota never requires it to be replaced.

Ya, right.

Although I my owner's manual makes no mention of replacing or inspecting the fuel filter, unlike other Toyotas I've, so who knows.

I haven't looked in the FSM yet.

Toyota seems to like putting the darn fuel filter in the worst possible places. My Celicas and pick-ups are all under the intake manifold as was my Supra. On my Hondas and especially the Subarus, the filter is very easy to get too. On the Subaru it's right up top and just unclips from the holder and undo two hoses. No metal lines.

Being as Toyota uses the metal lines and mounts it in very difficult to reach places, maybe there is some ligitimacy to the idea that Toyota doesn't require it to be replaced except in extreme situations.

thanks guys. yeah i remember reading a thread about dealers not wanting to do it. same thing happened to a friend where the dealer was very adamant about not doing it on his 4runner. wonder why dealers are so against fuel filter work...maybe they know its only maybe a 2 hr book time job but getting to it is a PITMFA?

i'll go from underneath. maybe i'll do phh/fuel filter/starter contacts all at once...since im in there already.

when getting to it from underneath, i can see maybe getting one arm through the maze of things in the way. how do you get both arms in there to remove the lines from the filter? are some of you double jointed in the elbows or something?

when getting to it from underneath, i can see maybe getting one arm through the maze of things in the way. how do you get both arms in there to remove the lines from the filter? are some of you double jointed in the elbows or something?

Last time I checked out the underside of a later 80, the fuel filter didn't look very hard to get to. But that was a while ago, so I could be wrong.

At least it didn't look as hard as mine....I used a lift to change mine out.

First time I did if from underneath while doing the PHH and a few other things. Had the front left wheel off and that might make it easier, I don't know.

Second time, having done it once before, I did most of it from up top with a 2x6 spanning the engine bay (fenders protected by lots of padding) and laying on top of the motor with arms hanging to get under the manifold.

It isn't the easiest place to get to.

Third time around, I just paid my indy to do it since he was doing some other things I didn't have time for.

FYI, I am anal, and change the thing about every 30k miles. It's cheap, it's not that tough, and in my mind, filters and clean fluids are the biggest step toward longevity.

if it wasnt a serviceable item why do they sell replacements :grinpimp:
some of the new cars have an intake filter and I could see those as non serviceable unless you had the tank dropped

Hey, Robert! We're missing you down here in San Antonio. You guys need to move back from Dallas. We've got a great little club going here!

Twice I've been aiming at changing my fuel filter and both times had a dealer and then an Indy talk me out of it. They both said they just don't get clogged and they're not a serviceable item. Logic tells me that a filter, filters stuff and therefore needs to be changed. What kind of symptoms do you think I'd have with a dirty filter? I think I'm running the original at 136K miles.
:cheers:

First time I did if from underneath while doing the PHH and a few other things. Had the front left wheel off and that might make it easier, I don't know.

Second time, having done it once before, I did most of it from up top with a 2x6 spanning the engine bay (fenders protected by lots of padding) and laying on top of the motor with arms hanging to get under the manifold.

It isn't the easiest place to get to.

Third time around, I just paid my indy to do it since he was doing some other things I didn't have time for.

FYI, I am anal, and change the thing about every 30k miles. It's cheap, it's not that tough, and in my mind, filters and clean fluids are the biggest step toward longevity.

Running the original at 170k and 165k. Bro in law's running the original at 320k. The filter is large enough to deal with 3rd world fuel conditions, so in the NA market with such clean fuel and a regulated industry it is overkill. I think I'm going to change both at 200k. Also, be advised there's a clever mod somewhere that has you modify the brackets welded onto the filter into slots so you can more easily replace the filter. Seemed clever and like a good idea.

DougM

if it wasnt a serviceable item why do they sell replacements :grinpimp:

Ya, exactly. Well, they'd probably argue that on rare occasions they can get clogged and after all, dealers carry many parts that aren't exactly regular service items, but occasionaly break or wear out.

Perhaps, the idea is that the tank filter, which is almost never replaced by anyone during the entire life of the car, is suppose to catch most stuff and that there is very little for the main filter to catch, but it's there sort of an emergency filter, just in case...

I don't know, just a thought. Seems to me that every other car I've owned, including other Toyotas has a regular service interval for the fuel filter, but as we can see, dealers and indy mechanics alike will say anything to avoid working on it.

But Doug makes a very interesting point about the filter being adequate for 3rd world markets so it's probably more than adequate for a lifetime in the USA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom