Front wiper lock relay LJ7- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone else experienced an issue with front wipers/washer not working due to a problem with the front wiper lock relay situated up the side of the dashboard, driver side, way above the fuse box (hard to reach)? I think this relay is fitted on LCs whose windshield folds down and is there to disable the wipers when the windshield is folded down onto the hood.
Searches for “wiper relay” often come up empty or missing the mark. It seems only some year-builds had relays, others had the relay integrated into another electrical part (wiper control unit?). Part search often comes back with rear wiper relay, not sure it’s compatible part.
I am not even sure my issue is with the relay itself, seems like a bad connection is causing this fault (comes on and off with road bumps) — but I am having a hard time locating the precise location of the bad connection.
Any help/experience troubleshooting this problem is appreciated!

Hi
I have a 1985 BJ73 with folding windshield.
The thing you mention, yes it is there. In the first place, it is a simple switch, actuated by pressing it down when the windshield is up.
It actuates the Wiper lock relay, which passes power through to wiper switch, wiper- and washer-motor.
The wiring diagram notes it for 60 series, which doesn't make sense. It is there in my BJ73, too. (I didn't find any different wiring noted for 70 series in the diagrams either).
Screenshot_20230106-133723_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

In the location diagram it's identified as one combined unit of relay and switch together.
--EDIT--: NOT a combined unit! Switch is separate, see scheme 4, item 84290, part-no 84650-90K00

Sitting exactly sitting where you described it: up the firewall, just beyond the frame.
Screenshot_20230106-135431_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Part-no is depending on 12V or 24V and exact model. It is item 85940A on parts diagram 8401.
(I looked it up for my BJ73:
Switch & relay for Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73LV - Amayama - https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/epc/toyota-europe/land_cruiser/BJ73LV/8484/electric/8401/85940A )
Screenshot_20230106-141026_Chrome.jpg

So, your assumption is correct: It cuts the circuit to the wiper and washer assembly when the windshield is folded down to prevent damage when accidentally engaging the blocked wipers. And, if broken, will also disable the wiper-washer assembly...

What exactly is your issue? Any malfunction, or looking for parts?

Cheers Ralf

Last edited:
Hi
I have a 1985 BJ73 with folding windshield.
The thing you mention, yes it is there. In the first place, it is a simple switch, actuated by pressing it down when the windshield is up.
It actuates the Wiper lock relay, which passes power through to wiper switch, wiper- and washer-motor.
The wiring diagram notes it for 60 series, which doesn't make sense. It is there in my BJ73, too. (I didn't find any different wiring noted for 70 series in the diagrams either).
View attachment 3211802
In the location diagram it's identified as one combined unit of relay and switch together, sitting exactly sitting where you described it: up the firewall, just beyond the frame.
View attachment 3211801

Part-no is depending on 12V or 24V and exact model. It is item 85940A on parts diagram 8401.
(I looked it up for my BJ73:
Switch & relay for Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73LV - Amayama - https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/epc/toyota-europe/land_cruiser/BJ73LV/8484/electric/8401/85940A )
View attachment 3211800
So, your assumption is correct: It cuts the circuit to the wiper and washer assembly when the windshield is folded down to prevent damage when accidentally engaging the blocked wipers. And, if broken, will also disable the wiper-washer assembly...

What exactly is your issue? Any malfunction, or looking for parts?

Cheers Ralf
Wow thanks Ralf. I was zeroing in on the location and part # myself and was also confused about the 60 v 70 in the parts, diagrams and FSM. My issue is that the lock function activates even when windshield is not down — it comes on and off randomly. After troubleshooting / metering the various switches and motor, to no avail, I wriggled a wire in that area and it made the wipers work. But it doesn’t stay. A bump in the road and it stops working again. It’s unsafe for me to put my hand through that hole while driving… I’ve tried to jimmy it in an “on” place with foam wedges but that has not worked well. Something tells me a connection to the switch or the switch itself is not in the right place or something interferes with it. PIA to see clearly in there. Was wondering if changing the relay would solve the issue but now that you tell me there’s a switch too, I’m not so sure it would…

--EDIT-- The switch and relay are separate, NOT one unit. The switch has a knob on top that pokes through the top of the firewall (or what it is called) where the windshield frame 'cushion' seal rests on and where the window lower frame rail presses on. The cushion seal has a preparation for the knob. Its held in place by a plastic nut around the top (it might probably have another fastner below the cowl).
Let me see, I guess I have a picture from the top.
What you describe rather indicates a loose cable or connector. I doubt it's the relay/switch itself.
I think, you need to work your way to it, probably by folding down the windshield. (If advise needed on how to do this: let me know)
I'd start by getting a cable camera and take a loser look from beyond.

Last edited:
There is a cover left and right of the dash, beyond this handweel nut that holds up the windshield. It is held in place by one screw and a clamp, so some slight pulling is required. Removing this might give access to that corner from beyond.

There is a cover left and right of the dash, beyond this handweel nut that holds up the windshield. It is held in place by one screw and a clamp, so some slight pulling is required. Removing this might give access to that corner from beyond.
I see. Thank you for that picture, it’s very easy to see where it is. I suppose it’s covered by the matte grey metal plate that sits below the windscreen and comes up to the plastic instrument cluster parts. I just removed the cowl louver (body color) that is outside the windscreen (six Philips screws) but that’s not given me access (gave me a chance to remove some willow leaves in front of the aeration grilles!)
Inside, I removed the little corner plate (1 nut) which gave me visibility in that crevice, though the visible relay I can see is the fuel pump relay (it’s written on it). Not certain that is the actual fuel pump relay or if the wiper relay was replaced with a fuel pump relay (doubt that but nothing is impossible). Will try to remove the grey metal flat plate that sits behind the instrument cluster.

By “beyond” do you mean above or below? I’m guessing below (unter oder über?)

Inside, I removed the little corner plate (1 nut) which gave me visibility in that crevice, though the visible relay I can see is the fuel pump relay (it’s written on it). Not certain that is the actual fuel pump relay or if the wiper relay was replaced with a fuel pump relay (doubt that but nothing is impossible).
I guess you have pulled the cover I was referring to already. Not likely the relay was replaced. A fuel relay does not have that switch knob.
The thing must be higher up and behind that bracket for the windshield hsndwheel knob. Not any cables visible going up there?

I guess you have pulled the cover I was referring to already. Not likely the relay was replaced. A fuel relay does not have that switch knob.
The thing must be higher up and behind that bracket for the windshield hsndwheel knob. Not any cables visible going up there?
Yes. That’s the plate/cover I pulled out already. I’ll take a look behind the windshield hand wheel knob. Will take pictures. Do you think it’s possible to fold down the windshield without taking the whole roof/canopy off? [I have a removable hardtop, not a soft top]

I saw your avatar and the pic of your truck in the WDYD thread.
It is a bit of work. I did it this way: You basically pull the FRP top and move it about 30cm backwards to clear the windshield to fold down.
Means: Pull side cover panels in the back, undo bolts in the side panels and corners, remove FRP plastic decals on B pillars and remove bolts behind, remove trim on upper windshield frame and undo bolts behind. To fold the windshield you also need to undo two bolts that go from top in the windshield in the corners. Those are only accessible with FRP top moved.

BUT: This will only give access to the relay switch knob in the cushion seal (the pic I sent above). That does neither help to get access to the relay itself, which sits under that firewall top rail the cushion sits on and behind that handwheel knop bracket. Won't help much.
Your description rather indicates an issue with the wiring of the relay, so you need to approachit von unten.

Here is a pic from the other (right) side, with the cushion seal removed. You see the hole where the relay switch is mounted on RHD vehicles, I guess, as well as the handwjeel knob bracket. This may help locating it mirrored on left side.

20211126_140043.jpg

I saw your avatar and the pic of your truck in the WDYD thread.
It is a bit of work. I did it this way: You basically pull the FRP top and move it about 30cm backwards to clear the windshield to fold down.
Means: Pull side cover panels in the back, undo bolts in the side panels and corners, remove FRP plastic decals on B pillars and remove bolts behind, remove trim on upper windshield frame and undo bolts behind. To fold the windshield you also need to undo two bolts that go from top in the windshield in the corners. Those are only accessible with FRP top moved.

BUT: This will only give access to the relay switch knob in the cushion seal (the pic I sent above). That does neither help to get access to the relay itself, which sits under that firewall top rail the cushion sits on and behind that handwheel knop bracket. Won't help much.
Your description rather indicates an issue with the wiring of the relay, so you need to approachit von unten.

Here is a pic from the other (right) side, with the cushion seal removed. You see the hole where the relay switch is mounted on RHD vehicles, I guess, as well as the handwjeel knob bracket. This may help locating it mirrored on left side.

View attachment 3211864
Well, let me share what I have found.
(1) Once I took off the windshield screw knob (diam. 20mm pipe wrench to start), it gave me better access to the screw that holds the only relay I can see back in there (that screw is 12mm diam.)
(2) I took off the screw and the relay came loose, hanging upside down. You can see it on one of the pictures in that position. I unclipped it from the wire harness and photographed it right-side up. You can see it’s not labeled “wiper lock switch/relay” but “fuel pump relay.”
(3) When I look on the diagrams and FSM, there is no description of a fuel pump relay in that place. My assumption is therefore that the original relay/switch was replaced with this one, even though it’s not fit for purpose.
(4) With better access, I turned on the contact and tried to wriggle the cabling leading to the relay, and all the other cables around there. Unlike before, nothing happened (windshield wipers did not come on). Just a note: when it was working on and off before, when I managed to put my finger on the harness in the right spot, it would make a “clunk” noise in the electrical circuit, and I knew it would then work. Like it was re-establishing contact/closed circuit or something. Now I cannot replicate that anymore…
(5) Something tells me that relay is shot. I will continuity-test it tomorrow. In any case it’s likely not the right part so I will try and find part # 85940A and put it there instead.
Thanks for your tremendous help thus far! Viel Dank. Du warst wunderbach.

7CF1503C-0F8C-4FBF-A383-E63565DFACD3.jpeg

34BED516-B255-4E42-A8A9-D58E0ABE8E89.jpeg

AB8B7DE7-DC01-43D4-9ADB-4D8F68065220.jpeg

701BF829-1BC4-4413-9164-5A32EFEA10DF.jpeg

45487C88-4700-4A95-8F73-46557ADE3B42.jpeg

Well, let me share what I have found.
(1) Once I took off the windshield screw knob (diam. 20mm pipe wrench to start), it gave me better access to the screw that holds the only relay I can see back in there (that screw is 12mm diam.)
(2) I took off the screw and the relay came loose, hanging upside down. You can see it on one of the pictures in that position. I unclipped it from the wire harness and photographed it right-side up. You can see it’s not labeled “wiper lock switch/relay” but “fuel pump relay.”
(3) When I look on the diagrams and FSM, there is no description of a fuel pump relay in that place. My assumption is therefore that the original relay/switch was replaced with this one, even though it’s not fit for purpose.
(4) With better access, I turned on the contact and tried to wriggle the cabling leading to the relay, and all the other cables around there. Unlike before, nothing happened (windshield wipers did not come on). Just a note: when it was working on and off before, when I managed to put my finger on the harness in the right spot, it would make a “clunk” noise in the electrical circuit, and I knew it would then work. Like it was re-establishing contact/closed circuit or something. Now I cannot replicate that anymore…
(5) Something tells me that relay is shot. I will continuity-test it tomorrow. In any case it’s likely not the right part so I will try and find part # 85940A and put it there instead.

View attachment 3211944

View attachment 3211945

View attachment 3211946

View attachment 3211947
You can also tell from my pictures that the base of the windshield is, well, pretty rotten. I knew this when I bought it (it was covered in duct tape and was declared by the seller, so no surprise). I guess I’ll go ahead and take off the windshield whilst I’m doing this chicken sh*t wiper relay switch job… It’ll give me a chance to assess the damage there, and either fix it with body putty, or order a new windscreen frame (yike$$).
Point of note: if the correct part relay/switch has a sort of “clicker” switch somewhere on it, I really don’t see how it would get pushed down (or released) by the windshield being mounted upright in the position where I found this “fuel pump relay.” But I can’t see another spot where this relay/switch wiper lock would be. [Perhaps I should look on the right-hand side, even if it’s supposed to be on the driver’s side.]

C397B8E1-584C-448A-B44D-3B5647B95E64.jpeg

1C683994-EB63-4B0B-965A-B8596B6D53FC.jpeg

40A1A48C-6274-4751-AB4A-08140FC8DE65.jpeg

27681C9B-BE40-4D3C-B496-BD347DE78311.jpeg

I checked again: I was wrong: Switch and relay are NOT one part:
Screenshot_20230106-193835_Chrome.jpg

Part no 84650-90K00 I'm sorry. (I'll edit my post above to not confuse people that might take this thread as a reference).

The switch must still be somewhere up there, probably more up and back than you expect. The relay may be genuine multi purpose / superseded, that's why it reads 'fuel pump relay'.
This relay is 'always on', which makes it prone to wear. Probably it's really simply shot.
The switch switches the coil circuit to negative. So, there should be 4 contacts on the harness connector:
1x plus incoming for workload (blue, (L)
1x plus incoming for coil (also blue, (L)
1x outgoing for workload to wiper-washer assembly (blue red (R-L)). So: No voltage with relay out.
1x outgoing from coil to the infamous switch (!) and by that to ground (blue-green (L-G)). So No voltage, but conductivity to ground, provided the switch is actuated, which it should as the windshield is up. Test with a test-lamp.

I'm sure you know how to test the relay.

You are welcome 😃 Where in Belgium are you? Probably we could meet some time in summer.

You can also tell from my pictures that the base of the windshield is, well, pretty rotten. I knew this when I bought it (it was covered in duct tape and was declared by the seller, so no surprise). I guess I’ll go ahead and take off the windshield whilst I’m doing this chicken sh*t wiper relay switch job… It’ll give me a chance to assess the damage there, and either fix it with body putty, or order a new windscreen frame (yike$$).

Yes, you should adress that. Mine was leaking there, too. Fixing that was when I took my pics. Unfortunately, your frame appears to be cracked and rotten just in the spot where the handwheel knob fastner applies it's force 😖. Will be a hard fix.

Well again: You are very welcome and I'm happy to be able to help.
Cheers Ralf

View attachment 3212002
Part no 84650-90K00 I'm sorry. (I'll edit my post above to not confuse people that might take this thread as a reference).

The switch must still be somewhere up there, probably more up and back than you expect. The relay may be genuine multi purpose / superseded, that's why it reads 'fuel pump relay'.
This relay is 'always on', which makes it prone to wear. Probably it's really simply shot.
The switch switches the coil circuit to negative. So, there should be 4 contacts on the harness connector:
1x outgoing for workload to wiper-washer assembly (blue red (R-L)). So: No voltage with relay out.
1x outgoing from coil to the infamous switch (!) and by that to ground (blue-green (L-G)). So No voltage, but conductivity to ground, provided the switch is actuated, which it should as the windshield is up. Test with a test-lamp.

You are welcome 😃 Where in Belgium are you? Probably we could meet some time in summer.
Near Brussels but nothing is far in Belgium, even Germany :)

View attachment 3212002

Update: Didn’t bother testing and ordered a new relay from Japan. Affordable. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom