Front Suspension Work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to swap out my LCAs, axles, front bearings, hubs, KDSS links/bushings, and front diff mounts. I have a couple of specific questions and looking for any other offered advice.

Do I have to open both KDSS circuits if I'm only working on the front?
Since I'm removing the entire LCA, am I better off separating the ball joint from the mount after it's off the vehicle?
Any other words of advice for this undertaking?

Yes, you'll have to open the KDSS Circuits. I don't think it is recommended to just open one, and I can imagine some weird leans getting introduced if you tried potentially. I'd personally separate the ball joints when the arms are still bolted on, so you have them firmly attached to something. Are you installing a lift and aftermarket components or just refreshing the stock stuff?

Since I'm removing the entire LCA, am I better off separating the ball joint from the mount after it's off the vehicle?
Any other words of advice for this undertaking?
If your’s are like mine, good luck getting them out witha hell of a press.

I froze my LCAs, then used the smaller 20 ton press to get the ball joint out. I’ve never seen gouges so deep in factory components the the gouges in the ball joints cups.

Hopefully that was just my situation, and not the norm. I’ll be interest to hear your experience.

If your’s are like mine, good luck getting them out witha hell of a press.

I froze my LCAs, then used the smaller 20 ton press to get the ball joint out. I’ve never seen gouges so deep in factory components the the gouges in the ball joints cups.

Hopefully that was just my situation, and not the norm. I’ll be interest to hear your experience.
Based on what I've read for ball joint removal/bushing removal, I just purchased complete LCAs to avoid pressing in/out bushings/ball joints.

Based on what I've read for ball joint removal/bushing removal, I just purchased complete LCAs to avoid pressing in/out bushings/ball joints.
Probably a good idea. My bushes were good, plus’s I have to presses.

But if I was to rebuild the whole thing, I also think just buying a new lower is the way to go.

Probably a good idea. My bushes were good, plus’s I have to presses.

But if I was to rebuild the whole thing, I also think just buying a new lower is the way to go.
Yeah I'm at 220k and the alignment shop was very unkind to the LCAs by not tightening the cams and when they did they did while not under weight. If I was at 120k it would be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom