Front leveled, now back needs to be stiffened (coil question) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey - I've searched the threads and pretty sure I should go with the OME 2723 springs on back and new shocks. I want to double check because I learning about this and want to verify my research was right.

This past summer, I got a deal on TJM XGS front shocks and coils. It originally lifted the front 2 or 3" but I found out there were spacers on the shocks, I removed them, and now the truck sits (almost) level- about .25 higher in the front.

I like a level look but don't mind the back being slightly higher.

Now I want to do the back springs. Right now I have stock springs/ shocks in the back. It seems with any weight, I get a lot of squat. About twice per month I load a trailer with materials (2000 lbs plus trailer) and I get SEVERE squatting. )

I own a construction company and regularly drive around with 200lbs of tools. I don't mind a rough ride, I actually like a stiffer set up.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 3.28.47 PM.png

I have air bags in the back of mine and I'd recommend exactly that for your setup, especially for occasional towing. I'm not sure which brand mine are, as they were installed by the previous owner. But if you like the static ride height unloaded (i.e. aren't looking for more lift), The air bags may be just the ticket.

I just air mine up and down with a bicycle pump, as I usually have one in the truck anyway. Usually no more than 10 pumps from unloaded to loaded.

Hey - I've searched the threads and pretty sure I should go with the OME 2723 springs on back and new shocks. I want to double check because I learning about this and want to verify my research was right.

This past summer, I got a deal on TJM XGS front shocks and coils. It originally lifted the front 2 or 3" but I found out there were spacers on the shocks, I removed them, and now the truck sits (almost) level- about .25 higher in the front.

I like a level look but don't mind the back being slightly higher.

Now I want to do the back springs. Right now I have stock springs/ shocks in the back. It seems with any weight, I get a lot of squat. About twice per month I load a trailer with materials (2000 lbs plus trailer) and I get SEVERE squatting. )

I own a construction company and regularly drive around with 200lbs of tools. I don't mind a rough ride, I actually like a stiffer set up.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

View attachment 1847598
If you like a stiff ride when unloaded, and putting as much weight in as you’re saying, then I agree that a 2723 is the way to go.

I have had 2721s, 2722s, and now 2723s. Are they stiff? Yes, but nothing that makes me feel it is any different from other trucks I’ve driven in the past. But man, 2723s can handle the towing and heavy payload pretty well. When I get a rear bumper built, I’ll move to 2724s, as I don’t feel the 2723 is ready for both a heavy load and a steel bumper.

Also, get ready for a big lift. 2723s have the tallest free height, and when unloaded and no bumper, gets up there.

Matching TJM suspension in the rear. I’m sure the make a spring to make the truck sit level (ish)

Matching TJM suspension in the rear. I’m sure the make a spring to make the truck sit level (ish)

I agree. Best to get a matching setup in the rear. Suspensions are engineering and tuned as a system, with each axle influencing the overall ride and handling of the vehicle.

I thought about matching- truthfully, not 100% happy with the TJMs- they are kind of soft. Not sure if it is the slight lift in the front or spring. Was going to do the back right with OME and eventually switch the fronts if ride was still off.

Truck has a side to side sway I don't like currently. It has quieted down from when I first got it, but eventually I was goingto replace TJM.

2721 seems like a better coil for you. Progressive rate, so more comfortable under normal load. Also it won’t lift the height as much as 2723. I like mine.

2721 seems like a better coil for you. Progressive rate, so more comfortable under normal load. Also it won’t lift the height as much as 2723. I like mine.

@RTaylor How much does the "2723" lift from stock height? I've read about .75"

Right now my back end is sits a half inch lower- I am fine with raising it.

**ALSO** I don't have extended control arms on the front- they are MAXED OUT- does raising the back end effect the front geometry with regard to the control arms at all?

For the record- TJM/ XGS front shocks and coils. After installed, I went back and removed the 2 brass rings on both shocks that hold the coil. This lowered the front end a little less than 2" from the initial raise. With the initial raise, my control arms were too short and front end lifted a total of 3" from stock. Removing the 2 gold rings gave me a little over an inch of raise.

Here is a pic of the gold rings I had referenced. They were on the shock acting as a spacer between on the mount where the coil goes.

IMG_3181.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom