front HELP! axle indexing ring - work arounds/updates? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The string trick works! I actually used a USB cable, snaked it into the housing far enough to make sure it would loop around the incoming shaft, and had my helper pull the cable upwards while I inserted the shaft. The shaft set in position within 1 minute. I cut the index ring out already. I will update on the possible leak/no leak.

PO removed the driver's side( long axle) indexing ring after it was most likely destroyed by a blown axle or birf, not sure but the inside of the knuckle is all torn up and the axle is definitely new.

I used an old Samsung phone charging cord. Fed it through the 14mm Brake Line Bolt on the top of the axle, since my breather was on the back of my axle. l Made a hook out of a bare copper wire pulled it out past the oil seal double looped the cable around the axle, slid it all back in. I lifted up the axle while the wife pushed the axle into the side gear. took about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks to everyone who assisted me in finding this thread and getting it back together.

All great ideas. I think I will try to weld mine back as AKARILO mentioned. Destroyed a birf last week. If that does not look possible, since I need to pull the 3rd out, I will slide a rod in to the diff. from the knuckle end. Attach a large washer. Pull it back out the end toward the knuckle. It will now have the ring on the rod. Use like a slide hammer to set ring back in place. Then push the rod back to diff. Remove washer. Pull out rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom