Front drive shaft phase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.burnmachinefilms.com
Question. I took the FDS off and engaged my CDL switch to drive around while I looked for U-Joints. Put the joints in, put the drive shaft back in but forgot to mark the ends for phase and now I have this werling - light to loud friction grinding sound and the CDL switch stopped working and the center diff doesn’t seem to lock? with or without the switch. Is there a way to locate phase on the from and rear shaft housings? Factory marks perhaps?
Cheers
J

It's either in phase or it's not. Disassemble, rotate the front axle side 90 degrees to try the alternative, and reassemble.

This should have nothing to do with the CDL. Perhaps you snagged the lead to the CDL and it needs reconnected?

Yea, phase shouldn’t matter to your electronics, as stated above. I can tell you this because I went through it a month ago, the front drive shaft is kept out of phase per the FSM. My DS still had yellow paint from the factory as bench marks to line it up, look closely maybe you’ll see some?

devo

If the caps on the UJ are not tight it can also cause vibration. This is why there are different size snap rings for the spider bearing/ joint from Toyota.

1616772134719.png

1616772191707.png

I have to change a couple joints on my 97, I looked at some vids etc. In r opinions, what is the best / easiest method?

cheers p

Ok Thanks everyone ! I'll play around with the front shaft position to see if the noise goes away. My U-joints are fine. Brand new. The ECT power button stopped working as well. Along with the CDL -No light on the dash for either button. No towing power or power difference when ECT is pushed. Guess I have some chasing to do. Much appreciated everyone!
Thanks

Yea, phase shouldn’t matter to your electronics, as stated above. I can tell you this because I went through it a month ago, the front drive shaft is kept out of phase per the FSM. My DS still had yellow paint from the factory as bench marks to line it up, look closely maybe you’ll see some?

devo
Yeah I figured-I thought there was a slight chance the out of phase shaft would put strain on the center diif and burn the actuator out. Glad to hear that one dosent influence the other!

Just an update on the ETC switch. It was dirty. After pushing it about 100 times in and out I got the power to engage. Still dosen"t light up on the switch or the dash but it seems to work. No on to the center diff issue.

I have to change a couple joints on my 97, I looked at some vids etc. In r opinions, what is the best / easiest method?

cheers p
I take my drive shaft to a local driveline shop along with Toyota joints and they charge me $12 an end to push out and reinstall joints. For $12 its well worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom