Front Disc Conversion, nearly finished, have question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the middle of converting the drum brakes to disc brakes on my 69 fj40. We got the rotor on. I open the calipers box and the brake pads box and find a surprising lack of instructions. Anyway, I see how it goes together but...How do I put the pads on the caliper? One caliper box came with two sets of a clip and two brass washers. The other caliper box has only one clip and two brass washers. Where does the clip go and what are the brass washers for? I'm guessing the washers are for the banjo fitting?

Here is the clip and washers

1425232681127.jpg

I am in the middle of converting the drum brakes to disc brakes on my 69 fj40. We got the rotor on. I open the calipers box and the brake pads box and find a surprising lack of instructions. Anyway, I see how it goes together but...How do I put the pads on the caliper? One caliper box came with two sets of a clip and two brass washers. The other caliper box has only one clip and two brass washers. Where does the clip go and what are the brass washers for? I'm guessing the washers are for the banjo fitting?
Has anyone used this kit?

I assume this is a rear disc conversion with GM calipers? Where did you buy the "kit"?
Are the brake lines custom, set up for the 10mm male fittings that come on Cruisers or do you need to change over to a domestic thread on the factory hard lines. There's a few different kits with different approaches. Some more complete and easier than others

I should have given more info at the beginning. It is the kit from JT Outfitters. GMC rotor and 85 Monte Carlo calipers and pads. I am also replacing the old brake master cylinder since it a single line. The new one is for 10mm fittings. I am running new lines. One thing I didn't think of when planning all this was that, for now, I am keeping the rear drum brakes which have a 9mm fitting. I'm still learning about breaks so I don't know if this is a problem

I checked the site. I guess that's what they sell. It's less messy, I guess, than swapping outer components from a 60, late 40 or solid axle mini truck.
I wish vendors would discuss the options with the customer rather than just exclusively offer a non- stock kit. True, this is a simple fix but for a similar price you could get all knuckles, spindles, hubs, used factory calipers to use as cores, and locking hubs in a package from someone like Cruiserparts.net or watch for a good price on a 60 front axle, used, and rob it.
It's not so much the brakes being better or worse stoppers but rather that the disc brake spindles and birfields being an upgrade. I don't believe the coarse spline birfield is built anymore. Certainly not OEM and as far as I know not even aftermarket. Breaking a birfield , which isn't uncommon, means searching for used if you have the drum brake style ( coarse spline ). Also, the spindles themselves are notably stronger on the disc front end than the drum.
If you're unfamiliar with the factory component swap there are a lot of threads on this site to search.

I kinda wish I had just done an axle swap, but I am where I am. What I am unfamiliar with is break pads. I'm doing research now. I'm thinking I need either one or two clips per pad. I'm trying to figure out where exactly they fit on.

Rock Auto (https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php) usually has good pictures of available parts based on manufacturer, year, and model. Perhaps you can identify what you should have there.

The photo you posted above does show up as 85 Monte Carlo disc brake anti-rattle clip.

Last edited:
The springs are anti rattle , refer to apprx 1976- 1978 factory service manual for correct placement . the copper washers go between the rubber brakeline and the 90 degree fitting on the dust shield to seal the rubber fitting end (its steel) and allow the knuckle to turn without breaking the brakeline hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom