Front bumper options that aren't too big (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so I got some lemons the other day, and now I'm thinking about making some lemonade. :) Was driving down the interstate when a "yuge" piece of truck tire smashed into my front bumper. It didn't cause too much damage, but enough to where I'll probably go through my insurance to get it fixed, but I was thinking, this may be the perfect time/excuse to go with a metal front bumper. My problem is I don't really want something as big as the typical ARB or Slee. While I would love to go all out with something massive, I'm not sure if my wife would love it (don't make fun). I don't know if I really have many options, but I'd like something a little slimmer if possible. I remember seeing a picture a while back of a bumper from Russia, and it looked awesome. Anyone know of other good options besides ARB or Slee?

I don't think Slee has a front bumper for the 200, yet. I've been considering front bumper options myself and have gone back and forth between something with full armor/protection and something less aggressive.

Aside from something custom, I think the ARB Sahara bar with no hoop is probably your best bet. You could also have a body shop paint it to match to blend in even more. I'm still considering this option myself but am leaning toward the full ARB bar for additional protection.

IMG_0292.JPG
Without the winch it's a pretty benign looking steel bumper, if you ask me...

Suggestion:

Bring up the major gains in SAFETY from a full bumper...especially a bull-bar.

I was on the same stretch of Alaskan highway where a husband and wife were BOTH KILLED when antlers from an animal strike came right through the windshield of their pickup truck and killed them instantly. A BULL BAR would have kept that animal and it's deadly antlers at the front of the hood and they'd be alive today.

It sounds like hype...but really it's not. Even though death is rare, it really does increase the safety of your Cruiser in not only animal strikes, but just about any front-impact. Airbags are fully functional with ARB, by the way.

The photo someone posted above my post is the ARB Sahara Bar...WITHOUT the chrome hoop. The hoop option is really only cosmetic and is not intended for protection. A "deluxe" bumper with full bull bar? HUGE step up in protection.

My 2 cents... ;)

I'm not sure if that's the one, but it's similar, but yeah, I agree with you. It's not so much the look of this that I like, it's the depth. I like the look of the ARB, but it just seems to stick out so far. I'm guessing it's partly to do with fitting a wench in there.

There's a thread over on Expedition Portal where a guy built up a 200 and had CBI Offroad in Idaho Falls, ID do a fantastic setup (front & rear bumpers, sliders, transfer tank, etc) on his truck. Their front bumper (in my opinion) is the best one I have seen:

BvZL7jQh.png

5UXXYuT.png

HpgD9f7.png

I contacted them and they said that while they're not in production for shipping, they could build these if I could bring my truck to them. I'm really curious if we could get them to start producing all their 200 gear on this guy's truck as it all looks terrific to me.

There's a thread over on Expedition Portal where a guy built up a 200 and had CBI Offroad in Idaho Falls, ID do a fantastic setup (front & rear bumpers, sliders, transfer tank, etc) on his truck. Their front bumper (in my opinion) is the best one I have seen:

BvZL7jQh.png

5UXXYuT.png

HpgD9f7.png

I contacted them and they said that while they're not in production for shipping, they could build these if I could bring my truck to them. I'm really curious if we could get them to start producing all their 200 gear on this guy's truck as it all looks terrific to me.

I agree the CBI bumped LOOKS super cool.... But it sure does NOT look strong to me. The "bull bar" looks about as strong as a "Handle Bar" on a bicycle. I dunno... That metal just looks extremely thin to me, and the bull bar supports? Wow those are skinny. If I want a bull bar (and I do), it's there for protection. Not just looks.

Others may disagree...and having not seen the CBI bumper in person, I admit that it's very hard to tell.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I agree the CBI bumped LOOKS super cool.... But it sure does NOT look STRONG to me. The "bull bar" looks about as strong as a "Handle Bar" on a kid's bicycle. I dunno... That metal just looks extremely thin to me, and the bull bar supports? Wow those are skinny.

Aren't the ARB bull bar supports skinny as well, just with a wider trim around them (like an I-beam)?

I agree the CBI bumped LOOKS super cool.... But it sure does NOT look STRONG to me. The "bull bar" looks about as strong as a "Handle Bar" on a kid's bicycle. I dunno... That metal just looks extremely thin to me, and the bull bar supports? Wow those are skinny. If I want a bull bar (and I do), it's there for protection. Not just looks.

Others may disagree...and having not seen the CBI bumper in person, I admit that it's very hard to tell.

What do you think?
I cannot comment on the strength of this actual bumper, but CBI was a popular bumper choice in the 4Runner crowd, and I've seen those get put through a lot of abuse without damage.

I think a TJM T3 sticks out the least... Cut 2 - 3" from the backside and it could be tucked in quite nicely.

Markuson has a good point about safety. Some days I get close to caging my 200.

TJM T3 ... The best ..

Bingo - that's the reason why I went with the TJM T13 - the profile seem to have the least amount of overhang with the benefit of a bullbar

Bingo - that's the reason why I went with the TJM T13 - the profile seem to have the least amount of overhang with the benefit of a bullbar

Yep. I noticed that on your LC and Fat Amy. I keep checking for availability of the T13... So far, no luck.

Wasn't it you who posted about a new distribution of TJM based in Kalifornistan? Any word on availability?

I think that was me (or at least one of them). But I'm done calling them and getting my monthly promise.

When Summit Racing starts carrying them again, I will believe that they are actually available.

I posted that too. Summit is done from what I was told. The new onwership of TJM is setting up a warehouse (IIRC in cali) to support the North American market. Maybe it's just taking a bit longer than expected.

If either of you hear anything? I'll be SUUUPER interested.

I've made up my mind that if the T13 becomes available...I'm ordering one yesterday.

Markupoop

Not sure if anyone peruses the other series' forums but Mud member "RDC76" does some GREAT fab work. I was talking to him and he's got a 200 series he's going to be working on soon, and once complete he would be open to producing in greater numbers if there was interest (like group buy). Given what I've seen of his style/craftsmanship I'd be in no questions asked.

Also looked into, and have continued to look into the TJMs but I get the same "soon" every time I reach out. Frustrating...

@benc made some (may still) good nice looking 100 series front bumpers.
I inquired about making them for the 200 a year or so ago and he was interested in doing it but needed a truck to mock one up. Give him a shout. He may have figured it out by now or possibly have one in the works. Worth a shot. Good luck

Okay, so I got some lemons the other day, and now I'm thinking about making some lemonade. :) Was driving down the interstate when a "yuge" piece of truck tire smashed into my front bumper. It didn't cause too much damage, but enough to where I'll probably go through my insurance to get it fixed, but I was thinking, this may be the perfect time/excuse to go with a metal front bumper. My problem is I don't really want something as big as the typical ARB or Slee. While I would love to go all out with something massive, I'm not sure if my wife would love it (don't make fun). I don't know if I really have many options, but I'd like something a little slimmer if possible. I remember seeing a picture a while back of a bumper from Russia, and it looked awesome. Anyone know of other good options besides ARB or Slee?

This is the front bumper/air dam that I’ll love to have! Anyone speaks Russian around here to source this unit, it’s only about $250 US dollars. I’ have a 2002 LX

EC82BA1B-9F0A-4DAF-8F99-BAF058899ACC.png

E2A5BD4E-5947-449C-B473-0B3A421F42EE.jpeg

8EBD0D57-946A-40EF-9210-BC23F738F602.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom