Friends don’t let friends Pro-Comp - ‘12 Tundra edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
So to give a short backstory, my Tundra came to me via knowing the prior owner (friend of a friend) - he has $$$ & maintains toys.
It’s the exact Tundra I’d have bought if I ever bought new-off-a-lot.

He added a 6” lift & spent early days on 37’s as it was a chase vehicle for wide loads on the highway - lift / tires got him a good high POV over traffic.

It also has airbags out back, as he had a snowmobile deck / towed a few more with it on days it went on fun runs.

I got it in Jan ‘17 - so shy 3yrs now.
I don’t drive it alot, and neither did he - just turned 68K recently.

I just did the Black Friday for a new set of 35’s BFG KM3’s & saw the ugly truth of a Pro Comp ~6” lift.

Truely Craptastic, best all-ages way I can say it.

1st thing coming out will be these stupid 5” pipe lift-blocks from the front, and Icon large-lift coilovers going in.

Additionally, a set of Icon arms will be used to reduce the overly-negative camber since Pro-Comp doesn’t do anything to address this even like BDS does.

That should address the FR, we’ll see about the RR when $$$ recovers.

————————

Pics of discarded equipment will follow - anyone local is welcome to parts as I will scrap anything I don’t see a repurpose for.

All I see so far is 2) ~5” flanged doorstops, or boat ballast.

So here’s the visible carnage of what my suspension looked like, and glamor shots since the new gear won’t ever be this clean again. Ever.

The DS shock lower:

75CBFA89-4D4C-4508-8D83-6A3ACF9E8E07.jpeg

Same stock shock.
Yep, the rod is totally floating / broken loose from the body. 100% destroyed.

01955D5D-AF48-4A8D-BA55-3151E553D884.jpeg

The PS spacer block from Pro Comp - not sure if pic will show, but it has a 3/16” deflection (bend in spacer tube :rolleyes: ) :

2443271E-42A4-4826-AF29-FC3B5315B484.jpeg

If you have a big enough screen, you see the bend to the left.

The upside:

I’m now on Icon 2.5 coilovers meant for the lift (they just do it down low on the stem.
My travel increase is small, not like I got a full 6” of new travel.

The other job was I got billet UCA’s with Deltajoints - DJ’s are a big deal if you live/expect to get semi-OE like performance (still need grease every 3-5K w/ a moly grease) - but basic HJ’s will eat themselves to a non-cost effective rate.

That’s my “Holmes on Homes” - take on Deltajoints. ;)

The FR susp pronz:

A844215A-66C2-42FB-8AB6-0455AE587FE2.jpeg

6B864468-5970-4662-81AC-55DD158C07FC.jpeg

That’s the journey so far.

The RR is getting Icon too - already eyeballing them.

BTW - no rub lock to lock running the current 37/13.5r20 BFG MT’s (they do run small, more like a 36.5” full disclosure). But no rub.

Sweet Jebezus, that old lift/ suspension only had 40 & 73K on it, respectively.

And I’m not overly tough on the Tundra, at all.

HTH.

Those Icons do look nice! How is the ride?

So far, nothing but <50MPH driving in-town & my gravel driveway has some ~1.5-2” potholes.

The softness was best described as a “4 in a 10 scale” by Scott down at Icon.
Their site for direct sales went live post me buying these, and there is a adjustable version, and for about ~$300-400 I can modify these when I rebuild them.

But from his words, it’s not really worth it on the FR coilovers.

I will be buying the adj rear shocks as he said “4” is a great setting for around town, and he expected “7” would be best or near there when I tow the boat or carry more than ~750#’s in the bed.

The RR shocks are going to be these:

Also, I have silver Never-Sieze in the threaded collar, and the neoprene body boots for the FR ordered, 100% because of the gravel driveway/constant dirt & grit my underside sees ~9mo of the year.

Holy moly that's a big spacer

not just a big, chachi spacer - but a cheap built POS one too - how do you bend one at all?

Like I said - Pro Comp is recycle bin ballast.

BDS does a ‘stage 2’ kit for ~$700 over the basic Pro Comp - the FR diff drop box is alot better, and other components too, for guys looking to go 6-7” lift / 35” + -sized tires.

Had an impromptu “ride quality” compare yest - the local Office depot / Petco parking lot has some wicked speedbumps (gouges where lowriders rub then, that tall).

When the springs had 58K & shocks were both 100% functional when I bought it (already had the 6” Pro Comp installed when I bought) - It had stock Rock Warrior springs.

With the Rock Warrior springs you wanted to hit the speedbumps off-angle - I hardly noticed the bumps & intentionally hit them straight on wearing the new Icons.

Progressive rate of the Icon springs is surprisingly plush, esp compared those RW coils.

HTH

I like that kind of response from a suspension system! Very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom