FREEZE PLUG HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj80pb

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello there!
We recently moved to another state. Between the move and all the related work in the new home, I took a bit of a hiatus form the forum.
Around May I noticed a cooling fluid leak at the freeze plug shown in the pic. I put a bit of Permatex to contained & I keep adding coolant as needed. The trick worked fine and the leak was indeed contained. It allowed me to gain time and attend other priorities
This weekend decided to replace the freeze plug. Everything was going fine. Moved the plug half way out until trying to leverage it to pull it completely...then...bam! The dammed plug feel inside the water jacket.
I've put a finger in the hole and I can't touch the plug. The dammed thing is gone!
Any ideas? Can I still put a new plug and drive it to a reputable shop or should I tow it?
Thanks in advance folks!
Cheers!

IMG_4836.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

FP1.png

What about fishing it out with a magnet? I have one with a flexible aluminum wire and a magnet at the end. The freeze plug is ferrous.

Thanks!. I've tried this but to no avail. I'll give another try tomorrow morning. We'll see...

This may work

USB Endoscope 3 in 1 Otg Phone Borescope 5.5 mm Waterproof Inspection Snake Camera Micro USB, Type C for Android Phones, PC, Notebooks, Windows Computer, Mac with 16.4FT Semi-rigid Cord with LED Light

20$ on amazon

Hello there!
We recently moved to another state. Between the move and all the related work in the new home, I took a bit of a hiatus form the forum.
Around May I noticed a cooling fluid leak at the freeze plug shown in the pic. I put a bit of Permatex to contained & I keep adding coolant as needed. The trick worked fine and the leak was indeed contained. It allowed me to gain time and attend other priorities
This weekend decided to replace the freeze plug. Everything was going fine. Moved the plug half way out until trying to leverage it to pull it completely...then...bam! The dammed plug feel inside the water jacket.
I've put a finger in the hole and I can't touch the plug. The dammed thing is gone!
Any ideas? Can I still put a new plug and drive it to a reputable shop or should I tow it?
Thanks in advance folks!
Cheers!

View attachment 2433709

View attachment 2433710

View attachment 2433711
You could leave it in there.
My OCD would drive me nuts because "it's not supposed to be that way" but won't hurt anything.

I know of many engine blocks with a freeze plug pushed in and operational for thousands of miles.

The FP drops to the bottom of the water jacket inside the block and stays there. It's not going to float or move or get stuck in the water pump or thermostat if that's what you're afraid of. It will not be in with rotating parts. It will sit in the bottom like a rock in a river.

This may work

USB Endoscope 3 in 1 Otg Phone Borescope 5.5 mm Waterproof Inspection Snake Camera Micro USB, Type C for Android Phones, PC, Notebooks, Windows Computer, Mac with 16.4FT Semi-rigid Cord with LED Light

20$ on amazon
I'm ordering it this morning & give a try. Thanks much mate!. Cheers!

You could leave it in there.
My OCD would drive me nuts because "it's not supposed to be that way" but won't hurt anything.

I know of many engine blocks with a freeze plug pushed in and operational for thousands of miles.

The FP drops to the bottom of the water jacket inside the block and stays there. It's not going to float or move or get stuck in the water pump or thermostat if that's what you're afraid of. It will not be in with rotating parts. It will sit in the bottom like a rock in a river.
Thanks a lot mate! Really good news to confirm that. First, I'm going to give a try following Desert Dino's suggestion. If I cannot take out I'll live there until I can bring it to the shop I have in mind. Like you, my OCD-meter will will run crazy if I have to leave there...it's beyond me...you'll understand.
Again, many thanks!
Cheers!

Got it out folks!!
I couldn't find an small, flexible and strong magnet tool to get inside the hole and fishing for FP. Either the magnet was too weak to get FP or the tip of the flexible arm too big for the job. So I went to Home Depot and got 3 really strong magnets and tide them up with double steel cable. It worked!
Once the FP was on sight, it was a matter of time until I got it out. It took a fine balance between good karma and creative swearing as the working space was really tiny (I didn't took the plenum out).
Thanks to @DesertDino for the tip on the USB endoscope. It really help in figuring out the exact location of the FP. As @BILT4ME would surely understand, my OCD couldn't process leave it there.
I have already thoroughly cleaned the surface. I'm planning installing the new FP tomorrow. It is my understanding that it's recommended adding a fine layer of sealant to both the new FP and the block. to that regard, one last question: which sealant would you recommend?: a) Toyota's 103 FIPG or b) Permatex #1
Again, thanks!
Cheers!

IMG_4868.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

IMG_4871.jpeg

Permatex #1 without a doubt for me.

That's what I thought. This is what I first put on the outside of the leak-reducing it substantially
Thanks mate!
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom