1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

former 80 series owner, looking at a 99 100Series

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by Kasprzak, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Kasprzak

Kasprzak

Former 80 LX owner, sold a few months back and getting the bug to purchase a 99 tlc. Basic questions I have are as follows: Is insurance cheaper on the 100 series versus the 80? I paid about 60 a month for our new sr5v8 4runner last year and yet out 96 LX450 was well over $100 per month. I am just digging into my research on these, but I have found what appears to be a decent deal on a 99 TLC with 107K, rear diff lock, with an asking of $15,995. Sound fair? Before I get all the research done is there any major systems I need to look at with that mileage and that year? Thanks in advance I look forward to getting to know you like I did with some of the 80 guys....:D

2. calbo

calbo

Hah, I thought you meant a 1980 LX... I thought "a Mustang LX?" Sorry, my bad.

My rig is actually not over 90K yet, but I hear that some check-ups and preventive maintenance should be done at this mileage. Others please chime in!
    - Timing belt
    - Shock absorbers
    - Springs and T-bar
    - Driveshafts torqued back to spec

I'm sure you know you'll be pointed to the FAQ, Search button, and Slee's page, but I thought I'd enumerate a few things from memory before you go off and read the required reading assignments.

I have no idea how insurance companies compute premiums. There are so many factors, and they will still end up charging what they want. The 100-series is newer (thus raising the premium) but safer with its modern electronic nannies and updated mechanical systems (possibly lowering the premium). Who knows?
    As for the price... heck, it's a sweet deal so far. Just look out for bad wear-and-tear. Good luck!

-Cal

3. Kasprzak

Kasprzak

Its funny you mention that because my first car was an 83 glx mustang convertable. I drove buy it yesterday. Leather seems in good shape, typical door dings and a scratch here and there but overall visually appealing. I will have to get a test drive this weekend when I head down that way.

4. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

I went from a '97 80 to a '98 100 and my insurance went down by $300/yr. Comprehensive on the 80 was over $200 more and Collision was $90 more. Coverage and deductibles were exactly the same. Of course, YMMV.

5. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Too many factors determine the insurance premium (coverage, geographical location, driver(s), number of vehicles, miles driven, etc.). But to get an idea, when I bought my '03 LX in Jan '06, the premium was within $50 per year compared to a new '06 4Runner (v8 and v6 were the same), so not much difference.