former 80 series owner, looking at a 99 100Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Former 80 LX owner, sold a few months back and getting the bug to purchase a 99 tlc. Basic questions I have are as follows: Is insurance cheaper on the 100 series versus the 80? I paid about 60 a month for our new sr5v8 4runner last year and yet out 96 LX450 was well over $100 per month. I am just digging into my research on these, but I have found what appears to be a decent deal on a 99 TLC with 107K, rear diff lock, with an asking of $15,995. Sound fair? Before I get all the research done is there any major systems I need to look at with that mileage and that year? Thanks in advance I look forward to getting to know you like I did with some of the 80 guys....:D

Hah, I thought you meant a 1980 LX... I thought "a Mustang LX?" Sorry, my bad.

My rig is actually not over 90K yet, but I hear that some check-ups and preventive maintenance should be done at this mileage. Others please chime in!
- Timing belt
- Shock absorbers
- Springs and T-bar
- Driveshafts torqued back to spec

I'm sure you know you'll be pointed to the FAQ, Search button, and Slee's page, but I thought I'd enumerate a few things from memory before you go off and read the required reading assignments.

I have no idea how insurance companies compute premiums. There are so many factors, and they will still end up charging what they want. The 100-series is newer (thus raising the premium) but safer with its modern electronic nannies and updated mechanical systems (possibly lowering the premium). Who knows?
As for the price... heck, it's a sweet deal so far. Just look out for bad wear-and-tear. Good luck!

-Cal

Its funny you mention that because my first car was an 83 glx mustang convertable. I drove buy it yesterday. Leather seems in good shape, typical door dings and a scratch here and there but overall visually appealing. I will have to get a test drive this weekend when I head down that way.

I went from a '97 80 to a '98 100 and my insurance went down by $300/yr. Comprehensive on the 80 was over $200 more and Collision was $90 more. Coverage and deductibles were exactly the same. Of course, YMMV.

Too many factors determine the insurance premium (coverage, geographical location, driver(s), number of vehicles, miles driven, etc.). But to get an idea, when I bought my '03 LX in Jan '06, the premium was within $50 per year compared to a new '06 4Runner (v8 and v6 were the same), so not much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom