FNG- '86 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings from Sicily (I'm military),

I've acquired an 86 BJ73, Italian market version, but instead of the VM 2.5L it has a 3B swapped in..

The pic attached, is from when I got it. I've wheeled it a few times and damn is it capable, still needs a locker though.

So far, I've added an OEM rear seat, changes the oil, added some gear oil to the tranny, t-case and diffs. I have also swapped out the rear drums, shoes and brake hardware, but I still need to get it all adjusted properly to hold right. I also had to get the wipers working, ended up being the linkage frozen.. A vice, hammer, WD-40 and some grease, the wipers work again. I have all the parts to do another oil change, air filter, fuel filter and oil pan gasket.

Some things to address, front axle needs a complete rebuild, including the diff. Needs tires. Needs a stereo. I need to replace the driver side window regulator (again) and replace the window crank. I need to figure out what all of the leaks are and fix them, I also need to get the oil gauge and tach working.. After that I can move on to upgrades.

That's about all I can think of for now.. I've been doing a lot of reading here and I can't wait to learn and build..

Oh, and I stripped that terrible purple tint..

Cruiser.jpg

I need to replace the driver side window regulator (again) and replace the window crank. I need to figure out what all of the leaks are and fix them,

The window winding mechanism usually fail from trying to push glass that has slipped sideways slightly from worn guides. Until you replace the guides it will continue to chew cranks( if thats the problem).

Leaks will most likely be from the windscreen seals or the big seal between the windscreen frame and the cowling. You may need a new frame as they often rust and all new seals.

If the oil pressure gauge needle is sitting down real low in the gauge, you probably need a new gauge. If its sitting on low you probably need a new sender. These are cheap and used on most toyota cars from the same era.

The window winding mechanism usually fail from trying to push glass that has slipped sideways slightly from worn guides. Until you replace the guides it will continue to chew cranks( if thats the problem).

I stripped the bolts on the bar that adjusts how level the glass itself is, it just goes up a little funny.. lesson learned there, that metal is super soft.. I should have spent the $$$ or the oem replacement

Leaks will most likely be from the windscreen seals or the big seal between the windscreen frame and the cowling. You may need a new frame as they often rust and all new seals.

no water leaks, engine, tranny and t-case is another story.. lol but I do need a replacemnt wind frame, mine is rusting under the windshield :(

If the oil pressure gauge needle is sitting down real low in the gauge, you probably need a new gauge. If its sitting on low you probably need a new sender. These are cheap and used on most toyota cars from the same era.

Mine isn’t actually hooked up, from the engine swap I assume,so I gotta find the right wires under the hood.. I think I have it but I haven’t tried it yet

lol but I do need a replacemnt wind frame, mine is rusting under the windshield :(

They tend to be a lot worse than you think once you open them up. The good news is you are replacing it with a whole new panel.

no water leaks, engine, tranny and t-case is another story

Have you given it s good degreasing? It may be just one leak spreading over everything

How pressed for time are you? Speaking from experience importing my own truck in the same way. The people you’re going to deal with are going to find every reason NOT to ship your truck. That truck needs to be spotless inside, outside, underside, and in the engine bay. Every light needs to be intact and functioning, and the e brake needs to function perfectly every time. Depending on how much time you have left you need to consider taking it in to have every leak fixed and the e brake fixed. What you don’t want is a truck diverted at/before the port of embarkation because the e brake failed or it started leaking en route.

I had a similar lecture from an exporter when I was considering selling a landcruiser overseas. All dirt and grease had to be removed before it could go into a container.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom