Fly Fishing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe it's something about hitting fiddy, what with the stereotype being old white dudes in funny hats and waders, but I've gotten interested in fly fishing lately. Took a couple classes at Orvis, bought a fly rod and reel, been catching a few bluegill, but looking at going after some trouts.

Any of y'all fly fish? If so, do you know of good spots closer to NW Mississippi where you can count on being able to wade a bit or shore fish (i.e., not have to hire a guide)? I know Arkansas is my best bet, but if there are other good options regionally, I'd be interested.

I used to wade a bit. Norfolk River is about 3.5 hours from Memphis. Heber Springs on the Little Red is about an hour closer. The White a River at the State Park in Mountain Home, AR was once my favorite but I haven't been in years. There is also a pretty neat little resort in Southern MO called Rockbridge. It's a private stretch of water, stocked heavily, and is a catch and keep pay to play situation. Not for everyone but it's a sure fire way to hook up on some trout and get the "feel" for them. Worth a day for a beginner in my opinion.

Hey I'm a young white dude and I have a fly fishing rod.... I've fly fished once with my Dad and he told me to keep the rod.... So if you find a spot let me know.... or if you want to buy a rod....

I did a lot of it growing up in NC in the mountains. Getting back into it a little bit. Not area your looking at but below Smith Lake dam on the Sispey River they have introduced trout to AL. Smith Lake is very deep and the dam lets water out from the bottom so it keeps the downstream below cool enough to have trout year round. They also stock the river about every other month.

Worthwhile hobby. Ive always enjoyed it. You can have a lot of fun locally on farm ponds, etc.. arkansas and southern missouri are your best bets for trout in a days drive (i can send you some good spots). But, my suggestion would be to head about 6 hours south:

73502819-C18E-4373-BB64-BE74DF556F14.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_0398.JPG
Fly fishing is actually much better fishing. 2 or 3 casts into a pool with no fish means you're done. Move on to somewhere else. To me that's the best part of it. You're always on the move and you don't get bored.

Plus, you tend to fish with lighter tackle overall, so the fish has more advantage over the fisherman, and you have to fight the fish carefully and with more skill.

It's also a skill game, unlike a lot of other fishing techniques. Full disclosure: I'm an over 50 white guy.

20150905_165221_HDR (2).jpg

Last edited:
You guys are killin' me. I'm going out tomorrow am with the kiddo to catch something (anything...) in the local ponds. I've been to Smith lake, and am pleased to hear they're bringing in trout over there. I looked up Rockbridge, and that place is officially on the upcoming agenda. pmcraney, I'm already sniffing around for an 8 or 9wt rod to take on my next redfishing t

I’ve been unable to fish the past year but am ALL about this thread. I’ve got a beginner rod from orvis and spent a lot of time on the pond at my old house. I’m a white dude under 50 but love cruiserdrews take on leveling the bubbles and using skill to catch.

Nothing at all wrong with beginning fly rod outfits from Orvis/Redfington/Cabelas. One of my 5 wts I still fish is a beginner St Croix. Aesthetically it isn't as nice as upper end gear and if you close your eyes it feels like a really nice flyrod. On lighter rods the reel doesn't matter either.

Now in the 8 wt range the reel matters because you play the fish on the reel with the drag, at least I do.

When people ask the best bang for $ rod out there, it's a St croix imperial. It's a $200 rod that fishes like a $1000 Sage.

For trout rivers a 4 or 5 wt will do almost any fishing you care to do. In the Sierra the trout are pretty small and I usually fish a 3 wt.

I would love to fish for big Redfish as pictured above. Looks like 8 or 9 wt territory to me.

In Alaska I fish all 8 wts I've built myself. My favorite is a St Croix legend elite.

It's a great sport but there are mountains of gear you can buy. I'd recommend you get a starter outfit, a floating line and fish a season or two before spending a pile of money. Ho to a place where you will catch fish to learn the basic cast.

Spring River in Hardy AR has plenty of farm raised rainbow. It's a little closer than Northfork. Little Red is good but I hate fishing when they start generating and then stop and then start again. I was just getting into that when I discovered IH8MUD. Kinda got distracted for a decade.

I would spend a little money on a nice road and not worry about spending much on the reel. It’s just there to hold line most of the time. Trout fishing rarely results in fighting fish on the reel.

I can safely say that fly fishing is an insanely addicting hobby.

View attachment 1581050 View attachment 1581052 View attachment 1581057

Salty! I like. I thought you were going to throw in the bone for the triple crown, but the bull red will suffice.

Yeah, you and i are friends. We just dont know each other yet.

Salty! I like. I thought you were going to throw in the bone for the triple crown, but the bull red will suffice.

Yeah, you and i are friends. We just dont know each other yet.
Oh yea. I would honestly take some good bull reds any day over bonefish. For whatever reason, they just don’t do it for me.

Seems like maybe a cruiser "Run to the Reds" might be in order soon!

I'm just getting started with fly fishing but have a lot of experience with fresh and saltwater fishing over the years.

Cabela's is having a good sale and I'm looking at some intro level fly fishing setups.
Fly-Fishing Rod & Reel Combos

I was thinking about getting a 5 wt for trout when camping
Cabela's Wind River Combo : Cabela's

and maybe a 8 wt prestige collection combo pack since I'm just beginning and fish in Orange Beach a lot.
Cabela's Prestige® Collection Fly Outfit : Cabela's

Any pros/cons of the setups?

I'd get the 4 or 5wt Prestige. Looks like a decent rod /reel for the price.

I would probably upgrade a bit for a salt water set up. And remember, EVERY day after fishing in the salt, the whole rod and reel will need a wash down to prevent rust and corrosion. If you really get into salt water fishing, you can build a fly rod with all titanium guides and REC snake guides that can't rust or corrode and will give very good performance. I'd get a mid level rod and a decent reel for a first salt set up.

Since you like "combos" here is one I'd look hard at for your 8 wt:

St. Croix Imperial/Cabela's Prestige® Plus Fly Combo : Cabela's

Made in the USA, good price, excellent warranty service, nice rod. Reel will get you started and then can be upgraded later.

I'd get the 4 or 5wt Prestige. Looks like a decent rod /reel for the price.

I would probably upgrade a bit for a salt water set up. And remember, EVERY day after fishing in the salt, the whole rod and reel will need a wash down to prevent rust and corrosion. If you really get into salt water fishing, you can build a fly rod with all titanium guides and REC snake guides that can't rust or corrode and will give very good performance. I'd get a mid level rod and a decent reel for a first salt set up.

Since you like "combos" here is one I'd look hard at for your 8 wt:

St. Croix Imperial/Cabela's Prestige® Plus Fly Combo : Cabela's

Made in the USA, good price, excellent warranty service, nice rod. Reel will get you started and then can be upgraded later.
Thanks! I have a Grady-White 209 for most inshore/offshore fishing in the Gulf but have really wanted to start chasing the reds and specs in the marshes on fly rods. I may just get the 5wt prestige for now and buy the saltwater setup down there. Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom