Flat tow a pig?

Discussion in 'FJ55 Iron Pig Preservation Society' started by Vitesse_6, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Hi all.
    Just curious if anyone has flat towed a pig? Ive flat towed my FJ40.
    Ive got a tow bar, chains and magnetic lights, Said pig will be sans engine ;)
    Just trying to decide if I Trailer, Tow Dolly or Flat tow...

2. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

We flat towed ours from Mynot, ND to Vancouver, B.C. with a BJ60!!! Stupid I know :rolleyes:

Yes, it can be done but use a larger vehicle.

3. firstade

firstade

Mine was flat towed from California to Texas with a Ram pickup. No problems at all.

4. timmbuck2

timmbuck2 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I know SharkBait flat towed his 40 with his 80 to Cruise Moab last year...and the pig you will be towing will be much lighter...and that is how I am getting it to you, probably with a dolly. :)

5. Lil'John

Lil'John SILVER Star

Not enough tea in china to get me to flat tow a 55 again.

I did mine with and without the engine... it sucked big time. I did it with my 99 4x4 Tacoma. It did it a little bit better when I had the cruiser engine/tranny in the back of Tacoma than in the Cruiser but it sucked.

The 55 pushed the rear of the Tacoma around pretty well:rolleyes: And 100% aren't going to do any emergency breaking with that setup.

I MIGHT consider it with something like a fullsized pickup and even then, I'd want weight in the rear of the pickup.

6. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

I was considering using my FZJ80, Its a heavy SOB with a wood storage box full or stuff in the back.
    It would be slow going, But I would be traveling Hwy 6, Which is quite a chore.
    I will do a little bit more soul searching on my end to see how things pan out.
    Thanks

7. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Tim, What will you be towing with?
    U-haul says the FJ55 is too heavy for the FZJ80

8. Lil'John

Lil'John SILVER Star

Vitesse_6, the two largest issues are handling and braking.

Let's be on the generous side and say a pig is 4k lbs(WAY light I know).

My Tacoma is rated at 1k without trailer brakes and around 5500 with trailer brakes. I would guess the 80 would be similarly rated.

Obviously, the pig is WAY out of the range of my Tacoma without trailer brakes. The 80 does get one benefit of its weight not allowing the 55 to push the rear around as much.

If I found a trailer that weighed 1500lbs that was rated for the pig's 4k, I'd be RIGHT at the maximum rating of my Tacoma's 5500 lbs.

Is it possible to flat tow a pig with an 80? Absolutely... I did it with my Tacoma. But to me it is VERY dicey at best. Plus, you are putting everyone else on the road at risk. Keep in mind the idiots are going to see this huge gap you SHOULD be leaving and will dive bomb it like you wouldn't believe:eek:

9. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

We took a '55 carcass (body shell ONLY) from Santa Clarita, CA to Vancouver, B.C. on a trailer WITH brakes behind the BJ60 and I wouldn't do that again either.

John is right on with the braking and emergency manouvers.

Somewhere about 2-3 years ago is a picture of a guy in Utah/Idaho area who rolled his '80 while towing a '55. https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/90693-double-cruiser-rollover.html

Personally, I wouldn't unless you have a big pickup like a Dodge Cummins with weight in the rear to keep it in position.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Thanks guys, I would only be driving about 280 miles, I will inquire about my dads truck and or trailer, Im coordinating with Tim to see when he was going to be in Moab

CG, I remember the rollover, He picked up the trailer near my house

11. Lil'John

Lil'John SILVER Star

Here is a sample comparing brakes.

Top is 3/4 ton Chevy(I think 1 ton is a little bigger) Bottom is 80 series rear(I believe front is comparable)

I believe the 3/4 ton and 1 ton had a rotor that was 1-2" larger than the 80 series.

Yup, large braking difference even without trailer brakes.:eek::eek:

*edit... picture didn't upload*
    brake.JPG

12. timmbuck2

timmbuck2 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I towed this pig on a trailer from Ft. Collins down to Denver with no problems. Don't remember if the trailer had brakes or not. I also hear you can rent tow dollys with brakes on them also. I am not sure what I am going to do when I bring it out to Moab...

13. snailwagon

snailwagon

My dad is one of those guys who reads the classifieds in newspapers everyday by 5am. He ran across a "toyota suburban" (a rust free 55 with 51K miles, not a dent) sans motor, about a 100 miles away (newberry springs, ca). He hooked up a tow bar to the back of his f250 and attached i to the tow hooks on the 55 somehos. Then he tied roap to the steering wheel and b pillars to secure it, and drove no problems.

Sounded pretty sketchy, but whatever, a $500 pig was worth it, I would have paid more than that just for the two perfect front fenders. He doesn't like 4 wheeling cause' it is too much like work. He spent years of winching trucks loaded with 6 cords of wood up impossible terrain, so I gues he knew what he was doing. Was a wood cutter in Big Bear when you were allowed to make your own roads.

14. Mrbinks79

Mrbinks79

Mine was pulled via tow bar from Tuscon AZ to Victoria TX turned out just fine.

15. cml25

cml25

Media:
    Albums:
    I flat towed mine from Yuma back to Gilbert, AZ and my truck was maxed out in the back. I just took it easy and lucky for me traffic was really light. Check out the pictures. If I trusted the non-existing brakes I would of backed it onto the trailer to keep the motor over the trailers axles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.