Fj80 sleep setup for one question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tubalubb

what do you mean by "put it back together"?
Threads
So most threads I’ve searched show a complete mattress sleep setup for the rear of the 80. I’m looking for something a bit different. Driving cross country with four (two drivers) and want to be able to swap out while the other rests. The other two passengers will be in front pass and one of the rear seats. At this point I’m thinking rear drivers side as I’m planning on an inverter install rear pass panel. Anyway, I want to make a sort of half sleep setup. Anyone do anything like this? I don’t think a pool inflatable will be very comfortable. Maybe just pillows and blankets? Any thoughts appreciated. Tub

There are lots of good half platforms demonstrated here.

If the drivers are taller it may be better to put it on the pass side so the driver isn't compromised as well as the sleeper.

The next point that comes to mind is you need 4 seats at times still and others 3 + a rest spot. So with that necessity id look at making an elevated platform in the back back. Make it 11-12'' tall with a hinged top. When traveling its doubled up in back with storage above and below. Need to rest, tumble the second row seat forward and flip the top layer over the laid down seat. (could skip this step and just lay a blanket over both to bridge the gap.

are 3rd row seats a factor...... or for that fact an option? 3 pass on pass side to counteract the lean ya know ;)
then you have the driver side floor to utilize full length, platform or not but it would allow more storage underneath. My buddy runs a cot down one side of his; something like an elevated cot would be ideal perhaps.

How much gear and or space needed may affect your decision as well. Got a roof bag?

Thanks, So on the third row option you mentioned the entire 2nd row would be laid down and one of the third row seats (in this case the passenger side) would be used as a passenger chair? I've always wondered about the raised platform and feasibility of climbing in and out (on top of the platform).

I run this set-up in my 80: second row passenger seat removed and ARB fridge resides there, raised platform behind second row with hight roughly the same as remaining second row seat with the seat back folded forward. 6” memory foam from back of drivers seat to rear door on drivers side. Very comfortable and climbing in/out of the back isn’t too bad. I can ride three with the foam folded back and the seat back raised upright or two with the bed laid out.

As said, if you want to ride three while one sleeps you would probably want to put the bed on the passenger side and omit the ARB or move it to the very back drivers side. Easy.

Last edited:
This was my 1st sleeping platform version:

fSpyf4P.jpg

RFJpxN2.jpg

1kfDGQM.jpg

That is exactly what I’m thinking. What all did you do? Is it an air mattress?

That is exactly what I’m thinking. What all did you do? Is it an air mattress?

In my case, the design evolved. I carry my spare tire (285/75R16) in the back, but wanted to reclaim as much storage space as I could. So, I started measuring and realized that my parents' old card table was the right size to cover the tire. I cut down the legs so that the underside of the table would rest on the side of the tire. After I did that, I discovered that when I lowered the back of the 2nd row seat, and then tumbled it forward just enough to level it out (piece of scrap wood), it was the same height as the card table.

Yes, it's a 1.5" Coleman air mattress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom