FJ80 Exhaust odor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 1997 FJ80 with 155,000 basically sight unseen. I am very pleased, but seem to notice a heavy exhaust odor outside of the vehicle when running and with the windows or sunroof open. Looked at the muffler and could not find any observable leaking spots, failure in welds, cracks, or tears.

Any other ideas. The serial number is as follows to assist with engine specs:
JT3HJ85J8V01XXXXX

Is this happening at start up or does it persist? Ive notice my 93 smokes a little on cold mornings but it goes away once it reaches operating temps.

D

Except for the really rich condition that exists at startup, you shouldn't smell a "heavy exhaust odor". Can you share more specifics about when you smell this smell, what exactly it smells like (is it a gasoline like smell or a smoky smell or a sweet smell) and if all the original exhaust equipment (catalytic converter) is still in place? That will help us help you. Thanks. :cheers:

I notice it mostly during idling when I am out of the rig walking around loading/unloading, and when stopped during traffic or slowing. Odor is similar to the exhaust you smell around boats is the best way I can describe. Smells like normal effluent odor from gasoline engine. not smoky, possibly a little sweet. My wife smells it immediately when I enter the house even if I have ridden with windows up. (She has an incredibly sensitive nose to hydrocarbon odor as I am a Geologist that cleans up gas/diesel.

Help me determine if I have the catalytic converter. What do I look for?

How does it compare to, say, lawnmower exhaust? You mentioned it smelled like boat exhaust, and boats have no emissions control.

Is your check engine light on?

Just went to smell it. Lawnmower is probably more accurate. My nose is not great, but I would also describe it as having an odor slightly trending to the sweet scale. Any other suggestions for trying to zero in the odor?

It came on Sunday afternoon and stayed on for the 98 miles that I have driven it. Just went out yesterday late in the day. Am trying to get by Autozone or other to get a code read.

Could be a long shot, but maybe a O2 sensor is bad and causing the A/F ratio to be way off causing the bad smell?

Bad cat?

You are dealing with a TLC owner amateur, and general uninformed wanna be do-it-yourselfer. How do I know if the catalytic converter is still on the exhaust system? Assuming that it will look like a large cylinder in-line with exhaust system. Need to get a Chilton or other guide. Any recommendations for the best type of manual to purchase?

My 97 LX450 has about the same mileage and the start-up exhaust smell is strong -- and I believe the result of a very rich cold idle "program" the computer dictates. This subsides as the engine warms. Probably your smelling this condition. OTOH .. a "sweet" smell is not a good sign as it can indicate antifreeze being heated in the combustion chamber - an indication of a leaking head gasket or other undesirable condition.

Is it possible that the rear heater lines are leaking coolant on the hot exhaust pipe??? They are a known area for attention in the rust belt anyway ... I have had to replace several rusted clamps on mine in the past fwiw if so this can be a very simple fix....in some cases

The Factory Service Manual (FSM) is the only type worth purchasing and/or downloading. Search around there are instructions for how to get it online somewhere on this site.

On a '97, I believe you'll have two cats inline below the front passenger's door. They look something like this:
cat_bracket.jpg

The big long round cylinder farther back is your muffler, the very short round tube towards the very end is your resonator.

This is all assuming you have a stock exhaust, otherwise things could look different. (Also assuming I know how a '97 is different from my '94).

Cheers,
JFS III

Just went to smell it. Lawnmower is probably more accurate. My nose is not great, but I would also describe it as having an odor slightly trending to the sweet scale. Any other suggestions for trying to zero in the odor?

My 97 LX450 has about the same mileage and the start-up exhaust smell is strong -- and I believe the result of a very rich cold idle "program" the computer dictates. This subsides as the engine warms. Probably your smelling this condition. OTOH .. a "sweet" smell is not a good sign as it can indicate antifreeze being heated in the combustion chamber - an indication of a leaking head gasket or other undesirable condition.

Every single 80 I've been around I've smelled a slightly sweet smell out of the exhaust normally associated with failing HG's (burning coolant). Since I know not all of those have bad HG's, I've chalked it up to just an 80 oddity.

If you want to rule out a head gasket problem, you can do the following:

1) Send in a sample of your oil to Blackstone (or any other heavy equipment shop such as Cat) to have it tested.
2) Do a compression test.
3) Do a leakdown test.

While that will not 100% for sure rule out a failing HG, it will rule it out 99.7% of the time.

My guess is that what you are experiencing is typical, but it doesn't hurt to run the three tests above to rule it out. Any competent mechanic should be able to do the last two tests in under an hour (note that a leakdown test IS different from a compression test, many mechanics seem to not understand the difference).

A couple hundred bucks (if that) is certainly worth the peace of mind IMHO.

Cool, will do. Was over in the Columbia River Gorge in early Feb. Great state, would love to get over to Bend area as I have seen the eastern side from Portland down to CA along I-5. Stopped in Medford for gas. Beautiful area.

Every single 80 I've been around I've smelled a slightly sweet smell out of the exhaust normally associated with failing HG's (burning coolant). Since I know not all of those have bad HG's, I've chalked it up to just an 80 oddity.

If you want to rule out a head gasket problem, you can do the following:

1) Send in a sample of your oil to Blackstone (or any other heavy equipment shop such as Cat) to have it tested.
2) Do a compression test.
3) Do a leakdown test.

While that will not 100% for sure rule out a failing HG, it will rule it out 99.7% of the time.

My guess is that what you are experiencing is typical, but it doesn't hurt to run the three tests above to rule it out. Any competent mechanic should be able to do the last two tests in under an hour (note that a leakdown test IS different from a compression test, many mechanics seem to not understand the difference).

A couple hundred bucks (if that) is certainly worth the peace of mind IMHO.

Not with the intent of arguing but only with the intent of assisting, neither my 80 nor any of the 80's throughout our family had sweet smelling exhausts. Further, I did both an oil analysis as well as compression and leakdown and found no hint of having any leaks and yet when Robbie did my Head Gasket as Preventive Maintenance there were sure signs of it failing. It had not had a catastrophic failure at all but there were sure signs of it failing. With all that in the mind, I would say that if the exhaust smells sweet at all you have at least a little coolant leaking.

I would say that if the exhaust smells like a lawnmower you have one of three things happening. Either the cat/s are failing or the oxygen sensor/s are failing or you have excessive oil seeping past oil rings on the pistons. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Not with the intent of arguing but only with the intent of assisting, neither my 80 nor any of the 80's throughout our family had sweet smelling exhausts.

FWIW I didn't smell it on mine (or anyone else's) until someone pointed it out. Now I can't stop smelling it.

It's one of those subtle things that you really don't notice until someone points it out. Kinda like when there's a little rattle that you never notice until someone asks about it, then you constantly hear it and come up with all sorts of paranoid reasons for why it might be happening. :doh:

Not saying that yours does or does not have the slightly sweet smell to it, I've never been around it so can't say. I can only offer my opinion based on the rigs I've personally seen. :meh:

FWIW I didn't smell it on mine (or anyone else's) until someone pointed it out. Now I can't stop smelling it.

It's one of those subtle things that you really don't notice until someone points it out. Kinda like when there's a little rattle that you never notice until someone asks about it, then you constantly hear it and come up with all sorts of paranoid reasons for why it might be happening. :doh:

Not saying that yours does or does not have the slightly sweet smell to it, I've never been around it so can't say. I can only offer my opinion based on the rigs I've personally seen. :meh:

Right, I learned that smell from smelling it when my old 4Runner's HG failed so I definitely do know what it is. You are right though that once you get the sniff you seem to be super sensitive to it. It's kinda like tequila that way!

While everyone else advertises headgasket gloom and doom :D I'd say that the simplest explanation could be failing emissions control and/or a rich mixture.

My exhaust smells like way-too-much-fuel-in-the-combustion-chamber gas. I'd describe it as "gasoliney and thick." Plenty of visible smoke while it's running too.

Just my $.02

Charcoal Canister

My :princess: has the nose of a bloodhound, and for 2 years she repeatedly mentioned "What's that gas smell coming from the car?" to me...to which I would respond, "Oh that's just the fumes from the exhaust pipe, when we pull the rig into the garage and shut it off". Well she persisted, so I ran the test in the FSM for the charcoal canister and, sure enough, it was totally saturated, and plugged, so I replaced it to the tune of $200+ and magically, the smell vanished!! Well, I was a professional mechanic for over 10 years (heavy diesel equipment) so naturally, I had to swallow hard and admit she was right, but the garage smells so much better now.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom