FJ62: More Electrical issues..Please help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whitleydesignco.com
About 2 months ago I was having electrical issues and it ended up being a bad alternator (I think) it fixed my charging issues for a while. Until last week I pull into my driveway and lost all power.

The PO cut out the fusible link and also has an aftermarket coil and starter solenoid installed on the truck? Not sure why..
So I contacted @Coolerman and got what was left of my FL rebuilt everything seemed to wire up correctly just as he instructed me except for the short pigtail going to the large white wire (alternator If I remember correctly).

So I got a small stud and connected the white wire and the pigtail (as you can see in the photos). As you can see there's small wire running from the solenoid to the coil. As you can see the wire wire is not connected to the solenoid right now because the pigtail wasnt long enough to reach to it so I tried to bypass the solenoid and just connect to that stud. The truck seems to have power but will not start or turn over at all. The only dash lights I have are the Green 4WD light and nothing else.

I am not an electrician by any means and this could be an obvious issue for someone else..But I just cant get it figured out! I'd like to go back to a stock configuration but at this point I just want to be able to drive the truck again. It's getting frustrating throwing money at this issue hoping to fix it but hasnt yet.

Hopefully I explained this well enough for everyone to understand but if not

Sidenote: I bought a 4 prong relay was was going to attempt to wire it in as suggested in some other posts but I not even sure If thatll fix my problem so I havent done that yet.

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg
IMG_4539.jpg
IMG_4540.jpg
IMG_4541.jpg

Why is there a solenoid wired into this truck? What purpose does it serve? That's a warn winch solenoid btw.

The solenoid is like a heavy duty relay. One big stud goes to battery power, the second big stud is the output and goes to your starter in this case?

Then you need one of small studs to activate. So it seems you are missing one wire to a large stud at the moment?

MARINE BATTERY TERMINALS, THROW THEM AWAY! They must be very tight, they can come loose, and they are a poor choice for an offroad truck.

Last edited:
Someone with more time needs to take a deeper look at your setup. The solenoid needs to be removed.

1. Test theaftermarket yellow coil pack per the factory service manual to make sure it is working.

1.A. Test the continuity of the fusible link going to the starter wiring.

2. Replace the marine battery post terminals. I like the military terminals instead.

3. Figure out why someone put in a solenoid and they get rid of it.

4. You need to focus on spark since your truck has no lights. That means you have other issues than just the 1 white wire fusible link going to coil.

Last edited:
1568930110699.png

1568930236505.png

Check CHARGE and GAUGE Fuse in your fuse panel (left knee below steering wheel).

1568931159695.png

1568931126490.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom