Fj60 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a guy at work who has finally decided to sell his FJ 60.
Here is what I know he was driving this truck and it blew a head gasket. He had the head gasket changed and when it was all put back together it had no compression. He said it will start and run as long as you keep gas to it, but will not idle at all. Says it sounds and runs fine above idle but not enough power to move the truck.

I have NO experiance with any Toyota engine, but my experiance with GM engines makes me think this is a timing issue. My thinking is the timing was put back together off 180 or at least a few teeth. Does this sound like it could be to you who have worked on these engines or am I way off here?

If not and the engine needs rebuilt what is a ballpark figure of what this may cost me to do? I've rebuilt gm V-8's so I feel the job is doable for me.

Also if you can give me a ballpark figure of what a non running 60 may be worth. I don't know what year it is, but from what I remember of it the body was in good shape with no major rust and the interior was also in fair condition.

Yes I know this is a streach to have you answer the questions from what little info I've given here. But I am going to look at it this weekend and any info is more than I know about these trucks now. I know I don't need this truck but if I could get it cheep and get it running it could be fun as a third vehicle to drive around.

There is a guy at work who has finally decided to sell his FJ 60.
Here is what I know he was driving this truck and it blew a head gasket. He had the head gasket changed and when it was all put back together it had no compression. He said it will start and run as long as you keep gas to it, but will not idle at all. Says it sounds and runs fine above idle but not enough power to move the truck.

I have NO experiance with any Toyota engine, but my experiance with GM engines makes me think this is a timing issue. My thinking is the timing was put back together off 180 or at least a few teeth. Does this sound like it could be to you who have worked on these engines or am I way off here?

If not and the engine needs rebuilt what is a ballpark figure of what this may cost me to do? I've rebuilt gm V-8's so I feel the job is doable for me.

Also if you can give me a ballpark figure of what a non running 60 may be worth. I don't know what year it is, but from what I remember of it the body was in good shape with no major rust and the interior was also in fair condition.

Yes I know this is a streach to have you answer the questions from what little info I've given here. But I am going to look at it this weekend and any info is more than I know about these trucks now. I know I don't need this truck but if I could get it cheep and get it running it could be fun as a third vehicle to drive around.

Could easily be a timing issue. It's tough to screw up cam timing on a 2F and you don't need to pull the cam or even the distributor to do a HG. I would think misadjusted valves is way more likely. The valve adjust procedure is WAY different than most engines. You adjust 2F valves at operating temp, not cold like most motors.

Parts can be tough to find at your local Pep boys. But most everything is available. The HG kit is discoed from mr T, but the whole engine kit is available for about $300. The rest really depends on what it needs. If it needs a bore and pistons I can find you a good running 62 for less than an engine rebuild.

I also know a guy with a 2F in his shop that was pulled from a very rusty 78 that would be happy to give back to the guy who gave it to him in the first place.

Non-running rust free FJ60 is worth about $500 to me, but I suppose $1000-1200 to the right person.

Thanks Todd, I keep going back and forth on if I even want to get into this project. The truck would not be turned into a wheeler, just a exta driver. This does give me some type of base line info to use when I do look at the truck.

Just for some addl. Info., I sold my 1984 rust free 60 for $3600. It had a rebuilt motor.

It might be timing but like Gumby says you don't mess with that for a headgasket job. Leaky intake/exhaust gasket along with the badly adjusted valves are my guess. If it still has all 50' of vacuum hose I bet that's screwed up too.

On the rebuild: every 2F I've pulled apart except one has needed a new cam and lifters. The one with a good cam was just rebuilt with a reground cam. Visit Rockauto and get prices for a cam and lifters... :eek:

Nick

Thank guys. I keep thinking this would be great if I could get this and get it running cheep. But then the voice in my head says if it isn't an easy fix then it will be a drain of time and money that should be spent on the 40. So I'll just see how I feel once I get a better look at the truck.

When you're at work tomorrow run a fork truck into the side of a new Sequoia.

Sneak in and steal it out of the scrap pile.

Take the body off, cut down the frame a bit and drop the 60 body down on it.

5.7L 6 speed 60 series.

Easy, peazy, lemon squeezy.

When you're at work tomorrow run a fork truck into the side of a new Sequoia.

Sneak in and steal it out of the scrap pile.

Take the body off, cut down the frame a bit and drop the 60 body down on it.

5.7L 6 speed 60 series.

Easy, peazy, lemon squeezy.

Genius!!!

Sent from this here eyePad.

Planting ideas like that in others minds is one of the reasons that you are known as a bad influence. Not saying that is a bad thing, just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom