FJ60 firewall lines and question on intake lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a gutted (under the hood) 1985 60 and rebuilt a 78 2F for it. I know the intake/exhaust is not right for the 60 but this is a desmog build. I need a little help id'ing some lines.
On the PS I have a larger steel line on the firewall that routes to the DS to the left of the master cylinder,I called it #3, is that a return line for the carb?
On the PS there is a smaller steel line above #3, I'll call it #1, it goes to the DS by the carb fan? don't know what it does.
On the PS there is a smaller steel line that goes down to the frame, marked #2, return from char canister to tank? or just down as a vent?
On the 3rd picture of the intake I believe:
A is for the small valve, cannot recall which one do I need it?
B is PCV input, I'll get a 90 degree fitting.
C is unknown
D vacuum line to power brake.
How far off am I, any help is appreciated and I have scoured multiple threads and not gotten definitive answers. Thx

pslines.png

dslines.png

intyakelines.png

A. Originally had a 3 tee vacuum hose adapter that screwed into the manifold. Toyota called it "gas filter". It was a vacuum source for the air injection system, Choke Opener, and high altitude compensation on the distributor.

B. PCV and EGR gasses entered here

C. A blind bolt hole to hold a heat shield

D. Brake booster vacuum source

1. I don't remember

2. Fuel tank vapor line that connected to charcoal canister

3. Carburetor float bowl vapor line that connected to charcoal canister through a solenoid at the canister (Outer Vent Control Valve). Don't vent the carb float bowl without a properly functioning OVCV. (Off when ignition is ON) otherwise starting can be almost impossible.
On DS, for carb float bowl vent, the hose connected to a big pipe on the USA carb float chamber.

Last edited:
OK, thx very much, that makes sense for #2 and #3, on the intake the blind hole for the heat shield is below C and C is a large threaded hole that goes thru into the intake..still figuring that one out.

I think C is plugged on the USA FJ60 2F. I just found a picture of mine and it looks like it's plugged.
C isn't a bolt hole for the heat shield. I was wrong. The heat shield is screwed into the exhaust manifold

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes Sir, I believe you are correct.I just found some pictures of the engine before I tore it down for a rebuild and see that it was plugged. So somewhere in my pile of stuff I have that plug...as well as the fitting for the PCV hose...thank goodness. I guess this happens when your 6 months between tear down and put together. Whats tough is the engine was a 40 series and its going into a 60 and the engine compartment was barren when I got the rig.

Also, my intake is actually a 75-77 type..slightly different from yours. The PCV inlet is just a threaded hole for a fitting and yours has a gasket and maybe a filter??

Here's a picture of a 1986 FJ60 intake manifold.
The EGR valve screwed into a plumbing fitting that shared a port with the PCV inlet. Shown circled in red

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Last edited:
Thx very much, My intakes a little earlier model, one threaded hole only, no egr that I can see. It will be a desmogged rig so no ego downpipes etc. Do you know what #1 in the earlier pics is for? runs from high on firewall on ps to close to carb fan on ds?

Ok- #1 is the charcoal canister to carb base inlet plumbing. On the PS a hose connects to the charcoal canister vent port and on the driver's side it connected to a 3 pipe vacuum control valve that was triggered by the accelerator port on the inward side of the carb. Since you'll be desmogged, you don't need it. Venting the charcoal canister through the engine requires that VCV and it needs to be plumbed correctly.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OK, I still need to get a canister, likely will go with the delco substitute. Thx very much
Ehhh if you don’t smell fuel no need. Some of mine have them some don’t, I can’t tell the difference

plug every hole in the intake, you’ll need one line for pcv or you can vent that one naturally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom