FJ60 Bluetooth stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a new stereo in my FJ60. I have been using the music on my phone for a few years now. My phone has a 1TB micro SD card with over 800GB of music. It can play music for over 120 days 24/7 and never play the same song twice. I also use my phone for navigation. There is a magnet mount for my phone that is just above and between the two vents over the heater controls. It is a decent location for viewing. I wanted to have a simple installation and something I could control without having to reach for the buttons on my phone (which is never safe while you are driving).

I took the old stereo out that the previous owner had installed. I put in a NVX Universal Bluetooth Audio Receiver and an amp connected to the old two door speakers. I mounted the bluetooth receiver along with a USB charger and a power switch on a piece of 2" angle aluminum screwed to the center console. All 3 of these inset into 1 1/8" holes. After I drilled the holes, I painted the aluminum angle with some hammered black spray paint. I pulled the drivers seat out to install the receiver/charger/switch bracket onto the console and mounted the amp under the seat. I'll be replacing the door speakers soon and adding some 6 1/2" in the panels in the cargo area. All told I had about 8 hours into this between making & painting the bracket, tracing the door speaker wires and rerouting them to the new amp location, installing the bracket onto the console and wiring the whole thing up.

Once I had it installed, I paired my phone to the controller. I turned on my music app and hit play. It works great. It takes a couple of minutes to get used to how the knob works. Turning the knob quickly to the right will advance to the next song. Holding the knob to the right will increase the volume. Turning the knob quickly to the left will go back a song in the playlist. Holding the knob to the left will decrease the volume. And there is a slight couple of second delay in the volume control. The best part is that the control sits right under my hand. If I am not in the mood for the song that is playing, a quick glance is all it takes to see if I want to play the next song. I might have to figure out a microphone next as my phone calls now come through the stereo speakers.

I also had a radio blank 3D printed from a person on Etsy, that I got the file for off of GrabCad. I had to register with GrabCad to be able to download the file. The unit screws into the stock radio brackets. I have the typical cracked dash that I have a vinyl repair I will be doing. I have tested it out and it fits just fine. I'm not sure how to attach the file or I would add to this post. There are links below for the file and the 3D printer.

For less than $150, I've got a bluetooth control for my phone that is easy to reach. As long as my next phones have bluetooth, this set up should last me a very long time. Once my dash is done, I'll be adding a longer magnet above the radio hole for my tablet.

NVX Bluetooth Controller
Boss 4 Channel Amp
USB charger
Panel Switch
FJ60 Radio Blank
Etsy 3D printer

Bluetooth controller.JPG

20200707_102739.jpg

20200628_113321.jpg

20200721_131656.jpg

20200721_131711.jpg

I used the ones that went to the old head unit. That way I am still using the radio fuse.

I might have gone that with a single DIN head unit if Chase's brackets had been available last summer. Fj60 Solutions - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-solutions.1234894/ I've had mine in for over 7 months and did a 6000 mile road trip and I wouldn't change a thing. I really like being able to adjust the volume or go tot he next song without having to reach up to the stereo knob. Having the Bluetooth receiver knob close to my hand allows me to control my music without having to look. I do take a quick glance at my phone's screen to see if I want to listen to the next song or not. Since my phone is mounted within easy sightline closer than the head unit would be in the stock location, I berely have to turn my head. All in all, I couldn't be happier. I did get one of Chase's brackets and installed a switch, USB and cigarette lighter socket in the radio spot.
20210223_121212.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom