fj55 distributor wiring help

I have a 2F engine out of a 78 fj55 and its going into my 1975 FJ55. I am trying to get the wiring figured out because the harness is a mess with a lot of cut and missing wires. the distributor has a 3 pin plug that i believe is supposed to come from the exciter or the coil. i have looked for it but it does not seem to exist on the harness and I am trying to find out where it would be connected and in what manner so i can make a new plug. any body have some in depth pictures or information to help out?
311594581_2282137745297763_1493937979107010247_n.jpg

It looks like just one wire, pictured above. Basically, the low voltage side (points) close and ground out what would normally fire the coil. Sometimes a capacitor is located on the distributor housing or on the breaker plate, if you are running non-igniter ignition (early or non-USA / simple) at the coil.

I recommend using solid, non-insulated, butt-connectors, AIRIC brand. It is so much easier to see what you are doing, they are easy to use with cheap wire stripper/crimper, and leave minimal bulk. Forget factory connectors when convenient, especially if is just one or two wires on the harness, just shrinkwrap over the connection with a cigarette lighter, add harness tape if needed for extra abrasion resistance. Dorman or NAPA wire from the spool at the otc section.

Shine a flashlight on a mirror under the resistor of the coil. Is the resistor good, visually?

Last edited:
It looks like just one wire, pictured above. Basically, the low voltage side (points) close and ground out what would normally fire the coil. Sometimes a capacitor is located on the distributor housing or on the breaker plate, if you are running non-igniter ignition (early or non-USA / simple) at the coil.

I recommend using solid, non-insulated, butt-connectors, AIRIC brand. It is so much easier to see what you are doing, they are easy to use with cheap wire stripper/crimper, and leave minimal bulk. Forget factory connectors when convenient, especially if is just one or two wires on the harness, just shrinkwrap over the connection with a cigarette lighter, add harness tape if needed for extra abrasion resistance. Dorman or NAPA wire from the spool at the otc section.
311979797_2282172651960939_3630778575244013298_n.jpg
there does seem to be a capacitor installed on the system after i took the old coil off

I'd clean the threaded parts on the factory coil, apply dielectric grease, and see if that one works before messing with the replacement/'trail-spare.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom