FJ45LV in New Zealand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This 1965 FJ45LV just popped up around 400km from were I am based in Christchurch and had to get it, this makes three Cruisers, after the pzj70 and my other fj45 ute. I think I may of caught the bug.....

In rough shape but the price was right, still has live registration and looks all there. Was apparently parked up 14 years ago with fuel pump problems but will find out when I go and pick it up, hopefully this weekend, road trip with some mates and a trailer.

Its the only one I have seen in New Zealand unless anybody know about any others. Any comments about things that look wrong? And can anybody identify what I am assuming to be a winch on the front bumper? There also seems to he hydraulic couplings on the front and read bumpers, not factory by the looks so it will be interesting to see what they lead to/the funny control box on the dash.

Should be an interesting few weeks, will post more/better pictures when I pick it up and more info.

Tom

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that is a V as the L in LV indicates left-hand drive.

I'm really digging the fan mounted on the dash and am surprised it is a floor shift and not 3 on-the-tree. Also, there isn't a FD knob or handle for 4WD low.

I hope you'll post a thread and a lot of pics as you bring it back to life.

Last edited:
Yep, defs a V. Nice rig, looks complete.

Nah - cause Toyota is RHD by design, their designations imply that. Any deviation from that is deemed outside core and designated to suit.

Sorry man, that's jargony as s***! Been writing technical docs all morning. But yeah, it's an FJ45V. Same as RHD long bed 45's are FJ45P-B and the LHD versions are FJ45LP-B's.

Nice score Taha32
The lines look hydraulic to me maybe ran a few farm implements or was running a hydraulic winch.

Got it home in one piece and started digging, a few photos and questions, help would be much appreciated

Is this the 1F or I see you guys referring to a F155 and it looks similar, or are they the same? Have not had a chance yet to try and turn it over and suggestions?

IMG_2739.JPG

Its three on the floor, and the low/high lever it on the floor which is standard for auz/nz

IMG_2718.JPG

This heater looks aftermarket, is it?

IMG_2719.JPG

Stark contrast where water has been sitting, from the back seats backwards is fine apart from the tailgate which has rust but reparable, the rear lift up glass/frame is gone....will post pics. Rear quarters are ok which is surprising.

IMG_2737.JPG

Not that many holes in the roof, but there is this nice one by the windscreen

IMG_2729.JPG

Are these factory stone guards? And I know the bezel is upside down, will change it

IMG_2744.JPG

Factory hubcaps/free wheeling hubs? Unfortunately one of the back ones is missing so I only have three

IMG_2714.JPG
IMG_2715.JPG

I will have to work out what all of these do

IMG_2716.JPG

PO had the original NZ certificate of registration which is interesting, was originally is OZ and imported with 40 miles on the clock. The truck
has its registration on hold which is surprising after not having a warrant since 2000. This will make it easier to get it back on the road.

IMG_2723.JPG

I will post more photos when I dig deeper, I have to study today for a Uni test. The floor is mostly there, 75% of the rust is between the firewall and back seats (firewall is fine), the bottom of the sills are gone. Doors have rust but fixable. The bonnet needs to be straightened, its flicked up onto the roof at some point, front guards are good.

Chassis/diffs/springs has scale rust all over, needs cleaning up and lots of things replaced. Are fj45PB/ute chassis the same? It would make it much easier as i know of a rolling chassis with 2f engine which would make restoration much easier.

Last edited:
I know a little bit about the earliest but those with more knowledge will chime in. I'd say it's about as stock as you'll ever get, either 100% stock or with period correct aftermarket or homemade mods.

Pic 1: I'd say that's the F145. All F motors are virtually identical apart from Toyota upgrades thought the series to make them more reliable/powerful. Though I am keen to know - is that a water separator on the firewall? And what's that vac tank in the foreground? But yep, the engine bay looks stock, right down to the oil filter, the tall t-stat housing and the factory clutch and brake fluid reservoirs. Although washer bottle and rad overflow - not stock.

Pic 2: I'm pretty sure the floor shift was stock for Aus in '65.

Pic 3: Heater looks homemade, but cool.

Pic 4: Stone guards weren't an option AFAIK, but could be wrong. Very period though, before headlights became cheap to replace. Is that a generator [early alternator] mounted to your front hydraulic/PTO/mechanical pump thing?

Pic 5: Free wheeling hubs were an option until the late 70's (?). Almost all Landcruiser left Japan with drive flanges installed instead, and hubs were added at the dealer. I've never seen that brand - don't even know how they work. Turn the screws? Someone will know more about the hub caps. Get a pic of the rear one - if it has the FJ25 Toyota 'T' it'll be stock. Check the diameter of those rims too. If they're 16" then hang onto 'em.

Pic 7: Not sure what 'room' is, nor am I sure the sliding heater type switch is something I've seen before either. Looks cool though. Throttle will be a hand throttle for crawling. You've got a Darth Vader light! [next to stereo].

All in all a bit of a survivor I'd say. As west aussie would say: plenty to like, plenty not to like. Ha ha.

Plans?

Thanks

The truck was used to launch a boat, hence rust, vacuum lines, and the winch on the front. No pto or hydraulics. The water separator seems to be hooked to up the vacuum system, going to strip it out as i have no use for the system. Yep the wheels are 16's and i have all five. No T on the rear hubcaps.

Not sure for plans yet want to dig and clean it up some more. I payed $500 for the truck which was quite cheap. I don't have the cash or room at the moment to to a full restore. thinking of cutting/treating the rust out so it does not get any worse. I may chip away with it bit by biy with the tig and wait till after uni till taking the body off. I have my other fj45 which is a days work and a few parts from being road legal again, but its at my parents place 700km and a ferry trip to the North Island away, I would like to paint that before this (probably)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom