1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ45 pickup headache rack

Discussion in 'FJ45 Owners Club' started by swamp-thing, Feb 28, 2007.

1. swamp-thing

swamp-thing

anybody out there know if there are any rear mounted headache racks for the lwb 45 pickups? My 1980 has the front rack, and i'd like to travel with a canoe up there, but i need something for the rear of the bed. I'm sure I could have something fab'd, but i would like to remain as close to original as possible -- IF there was ever an original option for this... any help / ideas would be appreciated.:cheers:

2. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    know anyone with a tube bender? You can fab a set up pretty quickly that can ties into the bed.

3. swamp-thing

swamp-thing

i used to know someone...but we haven't kept in touch. I take it there isn't any oem style deal out there...

4. D'Animal

D'Animal Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Mount a front one backwards in the rear. There is a guy parting out a 45 in the for sale section.

5. swamp-thing

swamp-thing

that would be pretty smooth indeed...thanx

6. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    I can fab you something like this..with less cross posts.

[​IMG]

7. swamp-thing

swamp-thing

any chance you could match the thickness of the front rack? If yes, I would be SUPER interested. What mounting does yours use? I'm not sure what's back there, but I wouldn't want to drill or modify my bed too much...your thoughts?

8. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sure if we looked hard enough we can find the a close match folded stock like the headache rack is made out of.

As for mounting there are a few options. Are you only going to haul your canoe?

9. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    the headache rack is hollow in the middle and is actually really light weight for it's looks

I have a brand new one in the shop. I will take some pics for you as reference.

10. swamp-thing

swamp-thing

yeah, canoe only, 80 lb old town...I'm not doing ladders or other gear...I would really like to figure out a simple rear hoop ( that looks original-ish ) I'm not sure I want to connect it to the front rack ( as shown in your pic ) unless we have to. D'animal's suggestion about reversing a front rack is kinda neat. I searched the for sale forum, and found some options -- they are a little bit spendy though.

11. swamp-thing

swamp-thing

hmmm -- wanna sell the one you found in the shop? Think it would rear mount?

12. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to keep it. It is a template for "hopefully" making some reproductions made locally. (no timetable).

I can try setting it up on the back of my 45 and see if it is viable. What is your time table?

13. swamp-thing

swamp-thing

oh you know -- whenever -- i was just fishing for options. If you're going to repro, and rear mounting is viable...then lemme know when you'll be doing some fabwork and i'll grab one from you if the price makes sense ( just pm me when you know for sure about cost / viability / timing ) Thanks man, oh yeah -- congrats on that recent aquisition - 45 wagon. I think it looks VERY nice ( and I'm more of a pickup guy - go figure ) - catch up with me later?

-swamp