FJ40 Water Pump Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered everything from CruiserCorps and tore into it today. I had two questions...

Is this JB Weld or something that was put on the corroded end of the thermostat housing inlet? Should I spend the $50-60 and order a new OEM housing online or see if I can make mine work again?

I have read it suggested to use FIPG (form in place gasket) along with the gaskets on the thermostat and water pump. I have also read it suggested to take apart the back of my new water pump and use FIPG on the inside gasket before I install it. Has anybody else also done this?
20171216_093547.jpg

Definitely looks like some kind of epoxy putty. I would be afraid the housing would crumble like a potato chip soon. Yes, replace it but saying that, I would wonder what the condition of the two bolts and the threads that hold it down are in.:hmm:

I just use OEM gaskets with a thin layer of black RTV silicone (both sides) and make sure the bolt threads are coated as well.

Also might check out the lower housing and bypass hose outlet as well.

Page 054 Land Cruiser Cooling System 40/45 and FJ55

Last edited:
The lower is not in bad shape like the top and the bolts threads were coated in silicone and not corroded. I order a new top since I dont want to deal with this on the road (again).

Has anybody else taken apart the back of the water pump and sealed around the gasket that is inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom