Fj40 Instrument cluster HELP ! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I just started in this forum I´m from Chile, South America, but I'm a long time Land Cruiser owner, I recently sold my family jewel that stayed with my family for 20 and some years a '81 BJ40 with almost everything original on it, the engine was a B engine etc. But now I have another one it was a FJ40 with a 2F engine but now it has a 13B engine and I can say it runs very good. The help that I need is for a problem that I always had since I can remember (started with the BJ40), I don't have the amp gauge working, I have seen other post about it, the wiring, etc but looking on the web for pictures of the instrument panel's back i found that there´s a type of conection that I never seen before on any of the instrument panels (image1). instrument panel back.JPG
As you can see there are two cables marked with yellow on the back none of them are in my instrument panel, the one marked with number 1 it´s connected to the cicuit plate (red circle), but I don´t know where the number 2 goes. After some time wondering where the hell came this connections from I found this from a spare parts image, and it showed a part that got my attention but I still don't know what the hell is it (image 2 on red circle) Instrument parts.JPG
Well I need help in determine what are this connections for and if they are related to the amp gauge connection, if someone can tell me about it or better yet if someone have some real life experience with this PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP MEEEEEEEE since I have this question looooonggg time agooo.

Thank to all for the future help. I´ll be waiting for the reply.
instrument panel back.JPG
Instrument parts.JPG

That part and wires are for the "speed computer"... part of the emission control system.

Nothing to do with the Amp meter

The speed sensor sends a forward motion signal to the "computer" which when senses above a certain speed and opens a VSV allows the fuel vapours, from the charcoal canister to feed into inlet manifold and be burnt in the combustion cycle.

Emission systems vary but that is the basic principal.

On my AUS '84 the sensor is a magnetic pick-up on the speedo gauge needle.
resto027.jpg

Learn something new everyday. Never ceases to amaze me.

Alejandro WE NEED PICS OF THE RIG!

Yeah Alejandroo put out with the pics! You and I have the same engine (but mine's a BJ40 rather than an FJ). I don't think anyone else on Mud has a 13B donk without a turbo do they?

My ammeter is toast too. But with all the electrical problems I've had, it's been the least of my worries. That "other thread" you were talking about, was that this one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/318198-bj40-no-headlights-2.html ? All that electrical sorcery is above my own particular skill level, but Lostmarbles and Rockcrawler seem to have it by the short and curlies.

Last edited:
That part and wires are for the "speed computer"... part of the emission control system.

Nothing to do with the Amp meter
Ok Teebag thanks for the intel, but I never had anything connected so the question still remains....... do I need those connections on my intrument panel to the speed computer (I never thought this old rig had a speed computer), and how will this affect to the engine or whatever it affect if I don´t have this connections ???

Then again thank you all for the quick response and info

PS: for craigwanderer and CruisetheLand, I´ll upload some pictures of the old faithful the original BJ-40 that I had, and the new one FJ40 with the 13B angine on it so you can see it over there. The only problem is that I don´t have to much space to upload, you can send me your mails over PM and I can send them too, as you wish. (sorry if I had some writing or gramar problems but my english is a little bit rusty):frown:

Yeah Alejandroo put out with the pics! You and I have the same engine (but mine's a BJ40 rather than an FJ). I don't think anyone else on Mud has a 13B donk without a turbo do they?

My ammeter is toast too. But with all the electrical problems I've had, it's been the least of my worries. That "other thread" you were talking about, was that this one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/318198-bj40-no-headlights-2.html ? All that electrical sorcery is above my own particular skill level, but Lostmarbles and Rockcrawler seem to have it by the short and curlies.

Hi there BJ40 friend this is one links that I've been looking over:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/238423-fj40-amp-gauge-test.html
If you want the others I can put them here too, but they are in spanish, and you have to be registered to view them. Or I can send you the important stuff trough PM or mail (I have some wiring diagrams). Just let me know bye bye.

I know this is an old thread, so if you don't like me posting on an old thread... tough! But I thought someone might want to know that this device is a VSS I had it on my '80 FJ40. the wire in question (#2 in the diagram above) should be grounded. It should also be known that it can be used on a TBI EFI swap for the VSS signal. It is a simple magnetic reed switch which (on the correct speedometer) provides 4 pulses per REV of the speedo cable (Square wave). It's twice as much as my '89 GM ECM needs, but ultimately the GM ECM just wants to know IF you're moving. OBD-I doesn't care how fast you're going, just that you're going and for how long (EGR & EVAP). I ended up swapping the '80 reed switch into my '78 speedo assembly (some slight modification required) and gluing two small magnets to the drum inside the speedometer unit to give me the correct 2 pulse/REV for the ECM. My speedo is pretty trashed but I don't get the check engine light anymore (this whole thing was just an experiment, and it worked). and the ECM is actually seeing a speed signal. I checked it through the DLC and it's displaying a speed, it's wrong (FJ40s don't go 145 mph) but it's there. Good enough for OBD-I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom