FJ40 and 2/3T trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I passed on buying an M-416 because it's just too small. I'd like to be able to pick up a sheet of plywood or fence posts. My options are a civilian trailer or an M101A3. I'm leaning towards the M101A3 but have heard my FJ40 would not be able to handle it. t will not be an offroad, extreme camping trailer, it will be for local hauling. I would like opinions from those who have used this paring or seen it done. I nay consider an axle replacement to reduce some trailer weight.

Any thoughts????

All you needed were some metal brackets attached to the sides, bent out then up, so a 4' wide piece of plywood would fit between them.

I have a M101A1 that I've pulled behind my 68 FJ40. Pretty much use it as you are planning except I use mine in a rural area. Not sure I would get out in traffic with it. I've hauled it on the highway with my 100 series and a Tundra but wouldn't do it with a FJ40. The FJ40 is just to short to make a good tow vehicle for that much weight. If your main tow vehicle is the FJ40 and you plan to use it around town to haul things I vote a civilian trailer. The military trailers are way over built for what you need and way to heavy. The main reason I bought my M101 was it was able to dump. Hauling leaves, pine needles and branches is what my is used for. Most the time I haul it around with my FJ62 not a FJ40.

The A3 should already have the lighter wheels and tires than my old A1. Getting rid of those old NDCC tires and huge 16" split rims would help me more that the later A3 with a standard 8 lug steel wheels. Don't know how much weight would be saved with a different axle.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll pass on the M101A3 as well.

All you needed were some metal brackets attached to the sides, bent out then up, so a 4' wide piece of plywood would fit between them.

I tacked together some 2x4s, then made cleats to fit the upper lip of the bed, and will throw a couple of straps over sheet goods when I need to haul them. No problem for my M101 CDN.

You'll be a lot happier towing a 1/4 ton trailer with a FJ40.

I tacked together some 2x4s, then made cleats to fit the upper lip of the bed, and will throw a couple of straps over sheet goods when I need to haul them. No problem for my M101 CDN.

You'll be a lot happier towing a 1/4 ton trailer with a FJ40.

Bidda boom. That works too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom