FJ40 Aftermarket Cluster Unboxing and Disassembly. With videos. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JVZii

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Lately when you search for FJ40 clusters on eBay, a new Chinese offering has flooded the auctions. I purchased one to tear apart and see what's inside.

I didn't feel like typing a bunch so instead I did some videos. I hope these are helpful and if I got anything wrong let me know.

Jack

1. Unboxing

2. Opening the case and Speedometer inspection.

3. Internals review.
Aftermarket FJ40 Cluster - Internal Review - https://youtu.be/yBqCGXShpX0

4. Gauges
Aftermarket FJ40 Cluster - Gauge Review - https://youtu.be/VWaqd_SX9k0

5. Wrapup.
Aftermarket FJ40 Cluster - Wrapup - https://youtu.be/-x57ezcXuQA

Jack,

Thanks for doing this. For the past few years the Chinese have been choosing various Land Cruiser items for reproducing and flooding the market with them: carburetors, "Aisin" hubs, speedos, etc.. And it seems every one of them turns out to have low-quality metallurgy, off plating, and general cut-corners. Yes, nice examples most of us could not duplicate, but by comparison with the originals, more of a Walmart quality. Apparently Toyota and its subsidiaries have lost their patents (if there ever were any), stopped prosecuting the imitators, or just feel there aren't enough potential buyers to bother with.

Since money always matters to most of us, we often wonder just how good these copycats really are. Thank-you for delving into these instrument clusters to give a heads-up and answer the question: "What makes the originals worth so much?" It also makes an original truck--or one from a rebuilder who uses as many OE, OEM, and NOS parts available--truly worth so much more than any of those with a quick coat of lipstick and some snappy decals. Land Cruisers--as built--deserve their well-founded reputation for quality, reliability, and longevity. It's a shame lesser-quality replacement parts can chip away at that reputation.

As with anything of lesser quality, if the buyer/consumer cannot "see" the difference, then he/she deserves the performance that comes from the cheap alternative product. My two cents.

Great videos— appreciate the time you put in making the videos. Granted not OEM, but at that price point not a bad option if you’re low on funds and need something.

thanks very very much for your time and for the out of pocket you did to enlighten all of us here in the 40 community and beyond ,

that morning a few weeks ago now when i posted the TECH thread in 40 series TECH , i was careful not to DISS or pass judgment on this reproduction 60180 varity cluster

meter , because i don't know nearly the TECH you do as a well rounded all things cluster meter Jack ......

i am glad the right person did this professional level evaluation in a very objective and open minded approach like you have clearly done so .......

i wonder how well my reproduction 12 pin YAZAKI Barrel connector and its unique terminals communicate with the male bull nose pins your holding in your hands jack ?

please PM me your shipping info and ill send you a few and you can report back ,

these fit ALL OEM YAZAKI 40 and 55 Clusters perfectly fine in all the years i have had them , but this could be a win win or well we don't know till we try right !

kindly ,
matt

again thanks Jack ! :)

DSCN8266.JPG
DSCN8267.JPG
plug 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom