Fj40 1974 - converting to a daily driver - Modifying suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up this '74 beast and am hoping to take it on the road soon. First off I need to get it down to a reasonable height and put some reasonable wheels and tires on it.

Here are some photos of the suspension. What all is involved in lowering it?

Also, let me know if you have a set of wheels and 33s.
00S0S_lE0YEnEoq3M_1200x900.jpg
20170710_110036.jpg
20170710_110042.jpg
20170710_115347.jpg
20170710_115356.jpg

I'll start a list, not in order...
New bushings and bolts, maybe just get new shackles and pins with bushings...
New steering rod, probably with new tie rod ends all the way around, disconnect and reconnect as needed

Support frame with minimal lift/tension on spring and remove the ubolts, you may have to reopen lift the frame/body once the ubolts are removed
Roll axles out from under Springs. After removing the brake lines and diff breather lines

Then remove the shackle end of the spring and position the axle between the spring and frame...

Reinstall or buyi new ujoints and install them, decide if you want a castor correction shim in the front.

Remove driveshafts and you may need to have the shortened, get new ujoints and balanced...

Look for brake line extensions and different breather line extensions and alter accordingly

All I can think of while drinking beer on St john island...

Jynx is a much nicer guy so he wont say it but WHOA!!! - That steering mock-up... :eek: somebody been doin' some booty-fabbin. sorry, no disrespect intended, you didn't do it.

As usual he's on the mark, spring-under the axle, shocks and tie rod will go a long way to get you where you want to be. After that you're very likely find more things to repair/modify but ya gotta start some-wheres.

Oh yea. You will have to replace the shocks, the rear shocks may have some alternate locations...top of ubolt plate, or on bottom... or you could go with a ubolt inversion kit.

Oh @TeddyBoy I'm with you on the steering. That is awful that folks think it is ok to Z bend those... At least they did reinforce the bends, I think...

@3pits got you a good list started. May need to flip or get new spring pins. Ted can help you there :p

What size tires are on it now? 37s or 39s? Those boggers should help offset the replacement steering bits.

If you're close to the lair of the elusive GA cruisers, hook up with John and Ted one Saturday and they could help knock out that spring under in a few hours.

Looks like you have a nice starting point. And don't get overwhelmed by all the terms and suggestions. It will get easier and you will gain confidence as you work thru it. Good luck and keep the posts and pictures coming.

FYI, you used to be able ti sell those big Boggers , even if flat, or gouged, or bald...not many "rollers" or spares laying around...
What ever you do, don't pay to get rid of them...they are rare.

Agree, good list and/or summary comments made already and while you posted some great pictures, this thread begs for several more. First, just "have" to see a shot of the whole rig, just to confirm what all you're dealing with - ok I'm just curious. Seriously thought, need to see the front side of the rear axle to see what all is going to be involved with cutting off those ladder/wrap bars, the drive side rear spring plate looks like it's tweaked down and may not be reusable when you go back to SUA (the shock pin angle is interesting), need to see how tall front spring perches are (sorta look ok in picture but not sure), etc.

Alternatively - while you seem to want to go lower, a SOA with flat springs isn't a bad thing, but a lot of what's been said above by the others still stands - and high steer arms would be a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom