FJ Cruiser Automatic Mod ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - anyone ever find a way to disable OVERDRIVE in their FJC? Seems to me 90% of the hunting I encounter could be avoided by simply disabling OD so the truck stays in 5th. Going to 4th works, but sucks gas and is noisy. 5th seems perfect until it kicks in the OD.

Earlier rigs had a OD off function - and I used it a lot when pulling trailers or dring hilly regions (even helped against headwinds).

Thanks for any hints.

I think its called...re-gearing. Best investment in driving satisfaction I made. Made it drive like it did when it left the dealer lot...

My fjc has stock tires; so gearing isn't the issue (or maybe it is, thanks toyoda). From day 1 it would hunt going over simple bridges (1% or less grade).

Hi - anyone ever find a way to disable OVERDRIVE in their FJC? Seems to me 90% of the hunting I encounter could be avoided by simply disabling OD so the truck stays in 5th. Going to 4th works, but sucks gas and is noisy. 5th seems perfect until it kicks in the OD.

Earlier rigs had a OD off function - and I used it a lot when pulling trailers or dring hilly regions (even helped against headwinds).

Thanks for any hints.

The top gear = OD. On the older shifters, there weren't enough shifter positions, so the top gear selection was a button, called OD. On the '80 series for example; when highway cruising it will be in 4th gear, push the OD button it shifts to 3rd, grab the shifter one notch for 2nd, etc. 4th gear is higher than 1:1, so overdrive, but is still 4th gear.

... From day 1 it would hunt going over simple bridges (1% or less grade).

My guess; you are feeling the torque converter lock. It's intended to improve gas mileage by eliminating TC slip when cruising, but when locked acceleration is very lethargic. When the system senses that acceleration is wanted, the first thing it does is unlock the TC, feels like a little half shift as the TC reverts to normal mode, slipping, delivering torque multiplication. It takes very little throttle input to make this happen.

I wasn't aware the FJC had a locking TC. So that's new data I'll explore.

The FJC has a 5-speed automatic. But when you put it into Drive (5th), I feel two distinct ratios in use. It'll drop to OD/Lock when on flat and level no headwind or putting around town below 55. But when out on freeways at 65+ or up and down hills it'll often kick out of the OD/Lock, then sit in 5th for a while, then downshift to 4th; and then immediately upshift to fifth, then cycle back to OD/Lock, down to 5th then 4th. AKA "gear hunting" that gets obnoxious after a hour or so. I made a guess it was an overdrive function (an extra gear somewhere); but I have found the lock function in one of teh service manuals; and a wire that seems to control it.

I'll now try to find a good spot to nip the wire and see if that makes the issue go away (or cause engine light issues, etc.).

Last edited:
I think its called...re-gearing. Best investment in driving satisfaction I made. Made it drive like it did when it left the dealer lot...

my truck seemed to hunt more (but I wouldn't say it was to the point it was irritating) when I put 33s on it, but since I re-geared to 4.56, no hunting and the power band returned ... I agree great investment ...
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom