Fixing and Painting ABS Grill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After the second cup of coffee it was time to paint the front grill on the GX470, it was faded and chrome was peeling etc. While removing the grill all but 1 of the plastic tabs broke off. Figured I'd get the grill painted and then deal with the plastic tabs while painting the grill I was searching the web for ABS glue to fix the GX470 grill. I cleaned up the grill, sanded, block sanded all the peeling chrome, cleaned, sprayed adhesion promoter, painted 3 coats of flat black and did 4 coats of clear. I was unable to find a recommended glue so I tried a handful that say they will work on ABS and found one that worked very well, Dap rapid fuse. It has a primer pen and the glue. ISeem like the primer made the difference. Most everything else I tried seemed to hold but wouldn't handle torqueing down the nuts and popped loose. Followed the directions on the rapid set (dap website states works on ABS). Let it cure the 30 min required and put it back on. To my surprise it held and I was able to snug down the nuts and nothing popped loose, slammed the hood shut and nothing popped loose. I'll update in a few months on how it holds, or sooner if doesnt hold up. I came across many posts asking what to use to fix broke grill parts but no solid solutions offered. Hope this helps someone else out. Grill turned out great and all appears to be good.

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

What paint did you use? I plan to do this to mine because it too is flaking.
after its all prep'd, 2 light coats of chrome & plastic adhesion promoter, rustoleum flat black 3 coats, rustoleom clear acrylic lacquer 4 coats and let it dry over night. i popped the Lexus emblem out prior to paint and back in after paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom