Fixable - Repairable - Buyable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. Can't go fishing because the rule here in Colorado is to play within 10 miles of your home. The area I fish is further. So, looking over the 97 LC. I was told that this might be able to be fixed by welding in a new piece. Is this frame piece something that can be purchased?

Any suggestions? It's pretty bad.

IMG_20200502_102019.jpg

IMG_20200502_102011.jpg

Any recommendations, thoughts would be most appreciated!

That rusted section is not the frame/chassis. It's just body tinfoil. I'm sure you can remove/cut/weld and it'll be good to go. More importantly though, is whether that is indicative of other problem areas... I'd be looking very closely at the rest of the vehicle.

cheers,
george.

@slow95z
@arcteryx

Both may have one. It's called a radiator support.

Remove and replace.

It‘s called the radiator core/support. I needed one a couple of years ago after a minor fender bender that just pushed it back in slightly. I found one in a junk yard and changed it out.

Its not a hard job, just a bunch of stuff and bolts that you gotta pull before you get to the core. I think it was about 6 hours start to finish. I didn’t have to deal with rust since I’m in CA; that could make this job waaasy more stressful...

Enjoy...

Last edited:
Thanks @cme4lyt. Trying to find something on how to actually do it. I'll definitely have to deal with rust, this was an east coast truck. On Youtube, someone was showing how to do remove the radiator support but it had spot welds. You didn't have to deal with any welded spots did you? I'll take pictures if I get brave enough to do this! Thank you!

No spot welds. If I remember it was something like: remove headlights, remove valance (metal trim below headlights), remove metal top piece that holds hood latch assembly, remove radiator, remove ac dryer/bracket , remove/disconnect ac condenser and trans cooler....that’s all I remember ! Prob something I missed but it’s pretty easy to see what you gotta remove to get to the core support itself.

The bolts that hold that on to the frame are usually rusted and will have to be cut so be prepared for that.

I actually have one of those supports in Westminster. I'll give you a good deal and you can come see how to remove it at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom