First year of Land Cruiser 70 Series in Venezuela. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

Hey our friends in Venezuela, what was the first year you folks got the Land Cruiser 70 Series?

I know you got the FJ/FJZ70; did you guys ever get any of the longer (73, 74, 74) 70 Series trucks?

!Muchos gracias amigos!

Alan

The FJ70 started to get assembled in Venezuela in 1986 if I remember correctly. Maybe they hit the dealerships in early 1987 (I remember I was in high school and they were the best chick magnet at the time, I am not kidding). I'm almost sure that the 75 came out also in 1986: 75s were available as a troop carrier, a pickup, and with a bare chassis (not sure what the right technical terminology is for that configuration, but basically it's a pickup model that you can buy w/o the bed)

The 73 and 74 were never assembled in Venezuela (I've seen them in Colombia and Ecuador, but I think they're Japanese imports.)

I believe they started selling them here in 86-87, we never got the medium wheelbase ones, only the shorties and the full wheelbased, except for the 76/4 door which has never been available here.

We've had the 70, 71, 75, 78, 79.

Currently: 71, 78 and 79 Pick up and bare chassis versions.

As far as engines goes, they came with the 3f during the first years, then in 1.993 they upgraded to the 4.5l carburated and in 2.002 they upgraded it again to the EFI 4.5l, it doesn't use a distributor for the ignition system, it has 3 coils instead (they are not affected by water like a distributor is).

Hope that helps.

The FJ70 started to get assembled in Venezuela in 1986 if I remember correctly. Maybe they hit the dealerships in early 1987 (I remember I was in high school and they were the best chick magnet at the time, I am not kidding). I'm almost sure that the 75 came out also in 1986: 75s were available as a troop carrier, a pickup, and with a bare chassis (not sure what the right technical terminology is for that configuration, but basically it's a pickup model that you can buy w/o the bed)

The 73 and 74 were never assembled in Venezuela (I've seen them in Colombia and Ecuador, but I think they're Japanese imports.)

Eduardo is right, 85 or 86 started....

I also in that time was starting in the University and I remember that was the magnetic 4x4 for young people in all versions :beer:

The first year of *sales* was 1987, but there were a handful of 1986s in the market, some of which were actually fully-assembled in Japan as the Tocars plant in Cumana re-tooled from the 40 series (solid in Venezuela until early 1986) to the 70 series.

As some of my compatriots have pointed out, Venezuela got the following 70 series models:

1. SWB heavy-duty hardtop, petrol, STD and LX trims, 1987 thru current date
2. SWB heavy-duty soft top, petrol, STD trim, 1989 model year only
3. LWB heavy-duty “troop carrier”, cab/chassis and pickup, petrol, STD trim*, 1987 thru current date
4. LWB heavy-duty 4-door wagon, petrol, starting 2008

*(some LX trim short production runs, such as the “Tinto” pickups of 1988-89 and some LX features also available on select years)

The Venezuelan market did not get any mid-wheelbase, diesel engines, or light-duty (snub nose) 70 series. No VX or VX-R trim, either (again, some features available on some short production runs)

Hope this helps!

4. LWB heavy-duty 4-door wagon, petrol, starting 2008

Where did you get that information?

There have been rumors floating around about this ever since the new 76 was released in Australia, but so far no one from Toyota De Venezuela has confirmed that they are actually going to sell them here. They brought a couple of models last year for testing and PR, but those were not available to the consumers.

Hi All:

Thanks guys for the information!

So, any idea how many 70/75 Series trucks were sold in Venezuela in the late 1980s?

Thanks!

Alan

Hello,

As far as I know, the 73 was assembled in Colombia from the early 1990s to 2005.

These Colombian Cruisers were exported and replaced Japanese 73s and 74s in select South American markets, mainly due to reduced import costs.

Costs are also the reason why from the mid 1980s on, dealers there have sold a mix of Japanese, Venezuelan and Colombian Series 70 Cruisers.

JuanJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom