First Real Modification Coming Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60 said:
So should I buy one? (manifold insulator)

How did you fix the flapper open? Did you weld it, or did you do something else?

By the way, I ended up ordering the Fel-Pro gaskets from partsamerica.com (thanks FJ40 Jim :cool: ). I ordered the main gasket, the valve cover gasket because it leaks like a siv (sp), as well as fuel and oil filters. I don't know when they were changed last, so I just got new ones.

I will get new silicone lines as well.

:beer:

If your manifold insulator is ok, then just reuse your old one, but if it's broke get a new one. I have no experience with the SOR replacement (solid one) so I can't give you a rec. either way. As far as my flapper, mine was stuck closed after I had everything back together and running for a while, so access to it is kinda tight. I took off the spring from the permanantly mounted rod, then turned the flapper all the way to the open position, and then turned the spring so I had enough tension on it to hold it open permanently. Not a "forever" fix, but until I have reason to tear into it again it'll work. Only neg. is longer warm-up times in the cold weather.

Thank you. I will do that before I put it back together.

The reason that I am asking about the manifold insulator is because partsamerica.com sent me two gaskets for inbetween the manifolds, so I figured that I'd change it while it was all apart.

I am having alot of trouble getting the exhaust manifold bolts off of the exhaust system. It does not appear to be rusted on, because I have liberally applied penetrating oil two times. After that, I still cannot get the damn nuts off. I was thinking of buying an impact wrench to get the job done. Any opinions?

:beer:

nuclearlemon said:
can't hang any lower than the springs allow. they determine the lift of any shackle..the shackle adds to the lift of the body.
Actually they do, because the spring is actually angled down you will get a slight reduction in ground clearance. Additionally, the longer shackle has the potential to create a more vertical shackle angle which can impact the ground clearance even more.

Kroil, some heat and an impact or a breaker bar.

Impacts are a necessity IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom