First Ccyclocross race tomorrow... any tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a picture of my bike. I know how you guys like your pictures!

20161101_202156.jpg

Been training for cross? If not, prepare to have your heart try to climb out out of your throat. Also, no clips on the pedals? I am don't ride cross races, but spend a lot of time riding gravel and singletrack on my road bike--I like to be clipped in when climbing steep grades on dirt and when in sand--allows you to keep the weight over the rear wheel and maintain traction. The annoyance of having to clip in and out for every mount/dismount should be worth the energy bonus that you'll gain by being able to spin the pedals.

I definitely run clip in pedals, that is an older picture of when I first got it.

How do you like gravel riding? Would love to some races

IMG_0365.JPG

Gravel is fun, until it is wet - then it can be like riding in wet concrete.... And dont trust potholes.

Congratulations on your first cross race. Not that I have very much cross experience but I do have 20 years as a pro mtb racer and I can tell you nothing beats the feeling you get after doing a high intensity bike race. The only advice I can give you is take your first race as a fun way to break into the sport and make sure you breathe. Racing cross is a lot of lung and also legs but if you make sure you breathe deeply throughout the race your body will get the oxygen that it needs. I'm guessing it will be 20 minutes or less so food wont be an issue. Just have fun and get to know everyone at the race because cyclists are cool people. Good Luck
mike

How did it go?

I really enjoy gravel riding--it is a little disconcerting at first, but once you get used to how the bike responds on the gravel it is a blast! I use regular road tires so that I can do a combined ride with road and gravel sectors. I have a set of cross tires set aside for when I want to ride exclusively gravel, but I don't use them much. I am currently rehabbing a knee, but several of the sportives in the local area have a lot of gravel--looking forward to getting back out there.

Yeah that is the thing about CX is that you basically should anticipate to be at an an-aerobic pace the entire race. Look up Mud and Cowbells, he is located in Boulder if I remember correctly and is INSANE. One of these years I am going to give it a shot on my hardtail 29er just for s***s and giggles.

CO., eh...
I have to ask what elevation?

If the cx bug still has ya snared, drop into Boulder for the Wednesday Worlds weekly races. I've been in bar fights that didn't hurt as much! Haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom