First 60s series. H4 button, How to engage 4 lo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK. So it seems like you have the wrong knob on your high/N/low shifter.

Some more questions for clarification:

you show a differential in one of your pictures, and it looks like it has a cable locking mechansim. When you say you locked the hubs, are you locking the wheel hubs or locking the differential(s)? The wheel hubs are locked by turning the locking mechanism at the center of each front wheel.

In your post above, how are you telling that you are in 4wd or not? With the truck parked and the wheel hubs unlocked, you should be able to rotate the front drive shaft by hand when you are in 2wd. If now lock both wheel hubs, you should NOT be able to turn the front drive shaft. This tell you your wheel hubs are working. Next, unlock the wheel hubs and push the 4wd button (the engine should be running I suppose for the vacuum mechanism to work) to put it into 4wd, then the front drive shaft should lock up when you try to rotate it. If you can't get it into 4wd, then you need to inspect the vacuum shift mechanism.

FJ62 has a vacuum shift transfer case so there are thread with more detail about troubleshooting. Try searching. Vacuum lines could be switched at the valves mounted on the fire wall or the vacuum diaphragm could be broken. Or there could be an electrical failure.

You pretty much have to drive the truck to see if you are getting into low. You should be able to tell because you will be going about half the speed for a given gear/engine rpm as with high. If you can the transfer case into Neutral, then it should go into low too, If it won't come out of neutral, then inspect the linkage. If it goes into gear on both sides of neutral, then pretty much one must be high and the other low.
I did not mention that this 61 has the cable lockers. I do not engage those.

I put it in 2wd, spun the front drive shaft. Locked the hubs, pressed the H4 button (light turned on) and the front shaft DID NOT spin.

I unlocked the hubs, pressed the H4 button and the light turned on. The front drive shaft DID NOT spin by hand.

Hubs locked, H4 button pressed, light turns on, move the lever to 4LO, and yes, it feels like 4WD is engaged but it does NOT feel like a low gear.

Attached is the photo of the vacuum module. If I understood correctly its the flat pancake looking thing?

I tried getting a pic of the front hub connecting to the t case but it has a lot of plates.

t seems like 4wd is engaging and if you can shift the transfer case from Hi into Neutral, and verify it is in neutral, and then engage Low, it seems to me this should be working too. once you pass neutral, if it engages into a gear, that has to be your low gear. if the mechanical linkage isn't working, it either won't shift at all (stays in High) or won't shift out of Neutral into low.

t seems like 4wd is engaging and if you can shift the transfer case from Hi into Neutral, and verify it is in neutral, and then engage Low, it seems to me this should be working too. once you pass neutral, if it engages into a gear, that has to be your low gear. if the mechanical linkage isn't working, it either won't shift at all (stays in High) or won't shift out of Neutral into low.
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate you and everyones help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom