Fins and Things - mid-summer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a nice trip into Canyonlands and Arches, I found myself in Green River with an extra day. I have always wanted to try driving on the Moab slickrock, but never seemed to be there with enough time on my own. But this trip, even with 100+ temps, I decided to give it a try. Fins and Things is a well maintained and marked trail that is rated at 5 out of 10 for difficulty. So I figured a bone stock 2003 Tacoma loaded with outboard motor, gas tank, battery, etc. could do that with no problem. So I put the boat on the ground next to the RV and ventured out on my own.

Other than a few scrapes on the tow bar mounting in front and the receiver hitch in back, the only casualty was the right rear shock. I looked under the truck when a loud banging told my something was wrong down there. I found the bottom mounting ring had broken off the shock and decided that was really no problem, so continued on.

Since I had no good way to refill the tires, I did not even air down. The half-gone AT tires did fine. I needed to punch in the rear locker to get up some of the steepest sections. But overall I am very happy with the way the truck performs. So now with a broken shock, it must be time for new springs, shocks, 33" tires, and so on. :)

signage.jpg

slickrock-2.jpg

slickrock-1.jpg

Here are some pictures of the truck on the trail. Pictures never seem to show the steepness of a trail as seen from the driver's seat. But I can tell you some of the drops and climbs are pretty steep. I was glad the boat was not adding weight and screwing the balance of the truck.

truck-1.JPG

truck-2.JPG

truck-3.JPG

Here are some pictures of the truck on the trail. Pictures never seem to show the steepness of a trail as seen from the driver's seat. But I can tell you some of the drops and climbs are pretty steep. I was glad the boat was not adding weight and screwing the balance of the truck.

View attachment 1507481

View attachment 1507482

View attachment 1507483
Does make you realize what these Yotes can do even stock w/ street tires! Where in Canyonlands did you go? Stayed in Needles for a couple nights, also ran Elelephant Hill Trail, both were certainly highlights.

Nice! I bet the Subaru would have had a lot of trouble.

Nice!

That is a fun trail!

Nice! I bet the Subaru would have had a lot of trouble.
The Subaru is now with my son-in-law. The engine failed so they had to put in a replacement... The Subby has no approach or departure angles, so would have had a real hard time on those dropoffs.

Does make you realize what these Yotes can do even stock w/ street tires! Where in Canyonlands did you go? Stayed in Needles for a couple nights, also ran Elelephant Hill Trail, both were certainly highlights.

This was a trip to show my wife some sights she missed on a previous trip. The pickup A/C runs cool, so made for a comfortable ride and the rear shock was still in one piece. We went out to Dead Horse Point, then to a view into the Green River. Then over to Arches for a look at Double Arch and the park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom