Finally! 80-series Lower Link Skids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

eimkeith

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
eimkeith.com
You guys probably know that I make products for the 4Runner market, but I’m also doing a few things for the 80s as well. The other two products I made for our 80 already have decent representation In this market (rear panhard correction and lowered front radius arm mounts) but appropriate protection for the frame-side lower link mounts is surprisingly absent - so I made some. :)

Im pretty pleased with how these turned out; it took a lot of origami to get here, design-wise, because of the angles & contours of the 80 mount, and the necessity of being able to service the fuel tank. (10 revisions, honestly)

As with all my other stuff, these are weld-on and self-locating. I’m dealing with some website issues at the moment, so I’ll do a brief install guide here shortly.

I’m pretty excited about the fit and wanted to share.

6C8D9475-F6E7-4E43-97F4-DAE1316E1F2A.jpeg

4CD3A2DC-A3FB-42AA-9A7F-63D65B500F41.jpeg

24467358-392D-4021-9714-BF4D4450F23C.jpeg

Last edited:
For installation, I throw a strap around the axle to pull it forward just enough to take the tension off of the bolt for easy removal.

3CA667C5-2A8E-4C4E-AA75-785AD87E2E8F.jpeg
8F988E8B-F032-4C55-B70C-018623524A99.jpeg

Then the bolt is removed, and the LLS can be tapped up into place.
when the inside hole is aligned, put the factory bolt back in, then continue to tap the outside until it pops over the flanged radius of the factory mount.

3888ED10-28D3-4097-BAA0-4779C39C4F53.jpeg
166AF424-F840-4A38-A7F8-DF65AD5E6DE2.jpeg
015A4EB0-F2EC-41CA-BC84-79256780967E.jpeg

Now you can scribe a line around the perimeter of the part as reference for where to grind away the paint for welding, remove the LLS, prep the frame, and reinstall to weld it in. I’d put the link in place and torque it, then tack everything, pull the link & finish weld.

when you get to this part, use a drift to fold over the tab so you can have a continuous bead around the inner corner of the frame where it meets the mount:

1980FE89-FFFC-4AD7-B070-2AA1BD12698A.jpeg

Last edited:
Step 3; profit.
Excellent work. Been following some of your prototypes - great to see the final product!

Hey, thanks! My wife commandeered the 80 as her personal vehicle, so I have to schedule time to develop this stuff (so it's slow going!)

Got my passenger installed today. Will update driver tomorrow. Very easy to weld on, lots of lip on the skid for weld penetration. Only had to modify because of my slider gussets. 10/10 no issues. I didnt bother installing the link, I kept the bolt in the whole time instead.
thumbnail_image1.jpg

image0.jpeg

Gotta say, missed opportunity there.

Extend the length of this forward 6" on the frame, so you have a long ramp down to the lower control arm mount, you'll also help eliminate one major "hang up" point in the 80 frame.
The number of times I've had, or seen 80s hung up on the lower control arm mount trying to get over a ledge, is obviously a bit of a flaw off-road.

Gotta say, missed opportunity there.

Extend the length of this forward 6" on the frame, so you have a long ramp down to the lower control arm mount, you'll also help eliminate one major "hang up" point in the 80 frame.
The number of times I've had, or seen 80s hung up on the lower control arm mount trying to get over a ledge, is obviously a bit of a flaw off-road.

It is extended. - for that exact reason.

Looks good! I’ve got a set of sliders on order (white knuckle bolt ons). Do the mounting location of sliders interfere with these at all?

It is extended. - for that exact reason.

I see that. My comment was made knowing this.
I think what you've made looks really slick, nicely made.

The way I see it you're trying to solve two problems

1. Preventing hang up on the control arm mount
2. Preventing damage to the control arm bracket.

Solve problem number 1, the second will largely go away and your bracket could be a lot simpler.

I think you've missed the mark on number 1

It looks super, I just have this hang up about welding on frames between the axles and especially across the flat bottom or top. On the sides is no big deal, the stress on a beam at the center-line is zero (or close enough) but right across the flat...the highest stressed part, the weld introduces a stress riser, NOPE, can't do it.
Maybe I'm a Nervous Nelly, I know that light truck frames are mild steel and while they aren't heat treated there are residual stresses and work hardeing from the forming operations.

I see that. My comment was made knowing this.
I think what you've made looks really slick, nicely made.

The way I see it you're trying to solve two problems

1. Preventing hang up on the control arm mount
2. Preventing damage to the control arm bracket.

Solve problem number 1, the second will largely go away and your bracket could be a lot simpler.

I think you've missed the mark on number 1
Well I appreciate your opinion, thanks for weighing in.

It looks super, I just have this hang up about welding on frames between the axles and especially across the flat bottom or top. On the sides is no big deal, the stress on a beam at the center-line is zero (or close enough) but right across the flat...the highest stressed part, the weld introduces a stress riser, NOPE, can't do it.
Maybe I'm a Nervous Nelly, I know that light truck frames are mild steel and while they aren't heat treated there are residual stresses and work hardeing from the forming operations.

I totally get that - I had the same concerns when I moved from unibody modification to truck frame modification, enough hazardous tales from the big truck world to make anyone pause & think, for sure.

(nothing wrong with exercising caution, ever)

Im not certain; not familiar with those sliders myself. Anyone know?

I have WK sliders, I can't say for sure but I'll order a set of your gussets before the weeks out and find out one way or another (not concerned if I have to modify something)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom